Premed 101 Forums

DAL

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

Hi

I lived in halifax for a little while (5+ years) and I was just wondering, what do I have to do to be considered a martime applicant

Guest arcticaguy

I'm not a 100% sure, but I believe that about does it! If you're considered a resident of NS (one way that comes to mind is if you have an MSI health card), you're a maritime resident. There aren't any complicated regulations re. that. Just don't apply as a resident of multiple provinces/states/nations on different schools' applications-your application will be 'disqualified'.

Hope this helps.

Guest dogeatdog12

Hi

thanks for the info. I was just wondering how do they check resident status? am I eligible?

thanks

Guest NBsmurf

Hi Dogeatdog;

Just to add to what arcticaguy said. Your place of residence is usually assumed to be the province where your parents have a permanent address (also likely the province where you attended high school). If you've been working for more then 3 years, then you're considered a resident of the province you're working in. In other words, likely the province from which you have a health card :b

The medical schools do have ways of checking this information. When I applied to Memorial for 2002, they contacted the NB government to check my residency status (there was some confusion as I was attending graduate school in Ontario). I have no idea if they check every application... but honesty is the best policy :)

For more information you might find the medicine calendar useful:

www.registrar.dal.ca/cale...MEDI.htm#3

Hope this helps!

Archived