Premed 101 Forums

Slow dayz...

Guest eJaya

Guest eJaya

Well, it has been pretty slow on this forum lately. I guess we're all waiting to hear the verdict for next year- except for you lucky few who have heard back from Dal. :)

I thought I'd start a thread asking people what they plan on doing if they don't get into medical school for the fall. I'm thinking about this topic a lot lately and hearing from others may actually start making me feel excited about my prospects if I don't get in rather than nervous and depressed. I'll start off:

I think I will move back to Nova Scotia, work at a group home and volunteer OR

go to India (where my family is from) and live and do some volunteering.

Hope to hear from a few of you!

Margaret Jaya

Guest DalHopeful

My plan is to come back to dal and take english 1000.06x/y (because my phil 1010 credit, which is equivalent at dal, is not at other med uni's).. Perhaps also take physics. I elected not to take physics in undergrad because I had already done the material in highschool, unfortunately I didn't know that a lot of med schools require physics.

Since my options for applying to other schools were limited, I will get those credits and re-apply. This time applying to several other schools.

I will also try to get a research assistant job in a lab (there are a few postings already!) somewhere on campus.

I will be very unhappy for sometime..But Ill get through it and re-apply..

No plans to re-write mcat, so maybe I can relax this summer..hahha, slim chance.

Cheers

(ps. good idea for a thread!)

Guest DalHopeful

Hey eJaya,

I believe that we are the only ones who have OCD when it comes to the Dal section..:) hahah. Just kidding. perhaps everyone is concentrating on other things. perhaps they find that the forum is too stressful (ie. hearing about all these people getting accepted/rejected).

Hopefully this will be the week.

Guest DalHopeful

I have been hearing a lot about when the adcom meets, but I have seen little to support it. I have heard that they meet every week, meet every two weeks... Well, if they are meeting every week, then it has been 3 weeks since the first wave of letters and I haven't heard anything about people getting in/rejected since that time (on here or at school).

Are they hoarding the letters in the Admissions office? hehehe.. Perhaps amoeba_joe is correct in stating that they might be waiting to see how many acceptances they get.

Although, I don't think that anyone who was accepted would turn it down right away (since no other school is accepting people yet)... They will probably fork over the $200 and see what happens. At least that holds their spot.

....twiddling my nubs.. (no thumbs left)...

Guest MD2006

Hey guys, I don't know why there haven't been any letters since the first batch, maybe your applications haven't come up yet, or perhaps they are keeping them for further review, I really have no idea, but anytime I hear something I'll let you know.

Guest novacanuck

Hey eJaya,

It's been a month since our Valentine interviews and I figured it was time for me to check on here again. I hope everything goes well for you. I'm not sure what I plan to do if I don't get excepted. I'll definitely apply again. I'm thinking about U of O since I'm am pretty fluent in French. I also thought that I might take a EMT course to help the year pass. I'd like to stay in the medical field either way.

Ben

Guest eJaya

Hi Ben,

You're right- almost a month. It went by faster than I thought it would. Your plans for next year sound interesting. You should definitely apply to Ottawa if you're fluent in french. That's a huge advantage when applying there. It would be so nice if the few of us still checking this board were all accepted by the end of March. Then we could actually start planning fun stuff like moving, finding a place, going out to a pub...the usual! In any case, write again when you get a chance or if you hear anything from Dal.

Take Care

Margaret Jaya

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Dalhopeful - don't worry TOO much about the physics, particularly if you did well on the PS section of the MCAT. . . you should have enough. Unless you want to go into Orthopedics, PM&R or another area that's biophysics intensive - then it might be worth taking a BIOPHYSICS course. If not, physiology and/or anatomy would be way more useful.

Archived