Premed 101 Forums

I Got In!!!!!!

Guest MD2006

Guest MD2006

I got my letter from Dal post marked March 4th saying I was accepted!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!!! I wasn't expecting to hear this soon!!!!!! Has anyone else received a letter!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Guest NBsmurf

Congratulations MD2006!!!

:D

I also received an acceptance from Dal this week (dated Mar 4). I too was surprised at the early response, I had applied to Memorial as well and expected to hear from them first. Are you a Maritime applicant?

Guest MD2006

Yup.....are you??? I couldn't believe when I opened my mailbox!! It's such a relief to know this soon....I was worried I would be waiting until much later on!

Congrats to you too, are you going to wait to hear from Memorial or are you accepting right away?

Guest NBsmurf

Yup, I'm from NB. I'm relieved too!! I had convinced myself that it was a rejection (the envelope was so thin!). My neighbours must have thought I was a nut, I was crying hysterically out in the parking lot of my building :)

I'm accepting Dal's offer, I've already sent in my deposit! Are you going to be there too?

smurf

smitheak@mcmaster.ca

Guest heyheyhey

Ya your enthusiams is contagious. Congrats, I know from all the pre meds hear we can really relate to how you feel, and the reilef as well...so a genuine congrats.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! Congratulations! I too was accepted in the March 4th round. I am soooooo excited I can't even explain. Have you all decided you'll be there for sure come september? Bye :)

Guest MD2006

I will definatley be there in August....the days are SLOWLY passing...but at least I know where I will be for sure! See you in August cgb! :rollin

Hi ,

Congrats for all of you who GOT in, and wish the best for those reapplying.

My question:

I am very interested in having an idea about your backgrounds , GPAs and MCAT Scores you achieved just to help me evaluate my self. I have a BSC in Bio and another one in Kinesiology from DAL and Applied Info Technology Deiploma from ITI, i am writing my MCAT in August 2002 and i am looking forward to be in med sometime soon.

also what MCAT writing sampel score dal is looking for ??

Thanks

H2k

Guest Ian Wong

Hi H2k,

There's a really useful website set up by the Dal med students with quite a bit of information regarding admission statistics and FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions).

pub44.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm12.showMessage?topicID=15.topic

The Dalhousie calendar is also something you should definitely visit for the official admissions criteria, which will vary depending on whether you are a Maritimes resident or not. I couldn't find a listing for the MCAT Written score either. :)

www.registrar.dal.ca/calendar/prof/facmedi.htm#INDEX022

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest NBsmurf

Hi H2k;

I don't really want to give out my exact scores on the boards ;) , but I can give you a general idea of my background. Like yourself, I have a B.Sc. in bio (with a good, solid but not stellar GPA) and I am currently finishing a M.Sc. in Health Sciences at McMaster.

As you've probably noticed on the Dal site that Ian posted the link for, if you are a Maritime applicant, you need a cumulative 24 on the MCAT to receive an interview (in addition to other factors). If you are OOP, I believe it is a 30. I haven't specifically heard of a cutoff for the writing sample, but I would imagine a really low score would be a 'flag'.

Hope this helps!

Ian Wong & NBsmurf,

Thank you very much guys for your great input. i really like this forum. It is so full of great info and feedback from everyone out there, not only that it is so encouraging and motivating when you read everyones input.

Thanks a million, special thanks to those keeping it up and running.

h2k

Hey there...here is a little info about my application stats that might be useful. I applied with a cummulative GPA of appx 3.6 - in science. BUT, my last two years showed a MARKED improvement (probably 4.1 average). On my MCAT I got a total of 37 and a Q on the writing sample. I also have several years of health care experience through my work over the last 3 years (post university graduation). I really think that your MCAT marks can make up for other "flaws" in your application. If you don't have strong MCAT marks then you can certainly make up for it in other areas, but a good strong set of MCAT scores really improves your chances.

Hope this helps :)

Guest arcticaguy

howdy, a little info. about me.

I am a Maritime resident. my MCATs were solid, not stellar, so was my cGPA, but I had a great final 2 years, which increased it tremendously. I will mirror what was said about the whole package. I spoke to the dean of admissions a few months ago and was told that they really do try to not let one area rule your future, but instead they judge your file as a whole, not only the sum of its parts. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Congrats cgb!!!!!!!

I will see you in August as well. I can't wait.

cheers!

Archived