Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2007 applicant pool Data

Guest arcticaguy

Guest arcticaguy

Hi all,

While you're waiting on either an interview letter from dal or an admissions letter (although we've only had one set of interviews thus far), here is some unofficial info. re. the applicant pool for the class of 2007:

* Maritime: 233 eligible applicants (up from 205 last year); all will be interviewed

* Non-Maritime: 115 (90 last year); 40 will be interviewed

* Nova Scotia: 159 applicants

* PEI: 17 applicants

* New Brunswick: 57 applicants

* 51 (22%) of applicants are from rural areas

* 19 (8%) of applicants are from Cape Breton

* 36 (15%) have graduate degrees

* Average age: 24 years

* Female Applicants: 53%

* Male Applicants: 47%

* Oldest applicant: 37 years

* 7% of applicants are married

* Average GPA of applicants: 3.8

* Average MCAT score of applicants: 28

* Range of MCAT scores: 24-41

As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Chances are at least 347 other people might have the same question as well. MD2006, NBsmurf and I would be happy to answer them for you.

Now back to Immunology for me :eek :x

All the best.

arcticaguy,

is it true that Dal uses MCAT scores as a flag only?

Dal doesn't have any reported weightings in the final decisions, right? (like the interview is worth x%, etc.)

Thanks

Hi articaguy

Thanks for all of those stats- really interesting. It's neat that there's 19 people applying from CB. I hope I get to meet a couple of them over the interview weekend. Anyway, I just wanted to know when Dal sends out their acceptance and rejection letters (it's a bit early in the game for this so take your time answering).

Thanks!

Jaya

Hi again,

I forgot to ask you whether the % holding graduate degrees were people who had their degree and were working on a graduate degree or just people who already have their degree? Was that confusing enough?

Thanks!

Guest arcticaguy

BCgirl,

You're quite right in that Dal doesn't have any official weighting for the different parts of the application. However, I believe that the MCAT results factor into the admissions committee's final decision as well. Having really high MCAT results does not guarantee admissions, as you've probably heard before. A friend of mine, who was a maritime applicant a few years ago, had MCATs around 40 but was rejected by Dal (accepted by Toronto though!). Apparently, he didn't feel the interview went his way....

I hope that answered your questions?

ejaya

I'm not exactly sure when they'll be sending out letters of acceptance/rejection. The sense from my class is that they've been quite varied. One person I asked had found out in February! Another one found out a few days before Orientation week started!

I'll let you know if anything concrete comes my way :)

As to the grad degree % thing, the short answer is: I don't know. The long answer: I believe that the application form stipulates that those admitted hold at least an undergrad and have completed their grad degree by the beginning of Orientation in August. From the way it was written to me, it seems like those 36% probably already have a grad degree of some sort. I'll check on that!

thanks for the stats arcticaguy! how does the admissions commitee select the 40 oop applicants that receive an interview. do they review our complete application or is it the 40 people with the top gpa's and mcat scores. thanks so much for the help

Guest Natalie

Does anyone know what the exact number of seats allocated to each Maritime province is? I can't seem to find it on the Dal website but I thought I recalled seeing it at some point...

Guest cassica

Hi Nathalie, I believe Dal doesn't have a specific number of seats allocated to each Maritime province. Maritimers are all in the same pool and they pick ~72 applicants from that.

I believe that the number of applicants selected from a particular province is quite reflective of the % of student who applied from that province. i.e. there will be a higher number of NS students compared to PEI students since there is almost 10X the number of applications from NS. This year we have 2 from PEI but I believe there were only about 5 or 6 who applied from PEI last year. I don't think there is a certain quota.

Guest Valani9

Hi,

Is that gpa average for the best year, or something?

It seems kind of high for a cumulative gpa.

I remember reading somewhere that the average gpa of admitted students is usually in the 3.6-7 range....

Guest arcticaguy

Beth:

The process is the same for both OOP candidates as it is for Maritimers, until the interview cutoff stage. I believe that at that point the WHOLE overall application is considered before offering an interview to an OOP. That conclusion is derived from the statement:

"In addition to academic ability, the committee is seeking candidates who have a realistic commitment to the study and practice of medicine, who have broad extra-curricular experience, and who have personal attributes which in the opinion of the committee are compatible with the practice of medicine. It is expected that candidates will have done some work in a medically related setting in order to have explored their aptitude for a career in medicine."
-D Hughes (Sept 2002, letter to applicant)

Of course this is after having satisfied the minimum academic requirements. I hope this helps.

Valani9:

I believe that range sounds about right. Please remember though that it's an average and the other extremes do exist.....

As to where that gpa (cummulative) comes from, here's another quote from Dr. Hughes' letter to the applicants:

"Maritime candidates must have a GPA of 3.3 (77%) in each of the two consecutive years of undergraduate study prior to applying during which five full courses would have been taken in each year. Non-Maritime applicants must have a GPA of 3.7 (80%) in each of the two years with a full course load."

Hope this helps.

cheers.

Guest arcticaguy

good question. aka. I don't really know what the answer is. So, I'd suggest you ask the admissions office directly. They would have probably previously dealt with a similar situation.

Sorry!

Archived