Premed 101 Forums

any letters yet???

Guest arcticaguy

Guest arcticaguy

wow, this is a pretty slow moving part of the forum! Here's a question:

Has anyone heard from Dal yet? I think they were supposed to send out interview invites right around this time of the year.

cheers and happy new year.

Arcticaguy,

I haven't applied to Dal, but I live in Nova Scotia. Once classes start again, I'm sure that I'll hear if anyone in my classes have heard anything about interviews. I'll be sure to let you know (I doubt any of them read these message boards).

Good luck!! :)

Guest BCgirl

Hey arcticaguy,

It seems as though the people that applied to Dal here haven't heard anything yet. They're maritime residents so I guess they'll probably hear before oop students. Are an oop applicant or maritime resident?

Guest arcticaguy

Hi BCgirl,

Thanks for asking around :)

Actually, I'm applying as a Maritime resident. Well, I guess to use a well worn-out phrase: no news is good news! I'm the kind of person who likes to plan things ahead of time when it comes to deadlines and school work. So, I'm just getting nervous now that second semester of school has started and test dates are already set. I am not too fond of this nagging feeling that my life is in limbo...you know...it sucks! Ah well, c'est la vie.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey arcticaguy,

I found out today that 2 people I know have interviews coming up soon at Dal. One guy found out a couple days ago and will be interviewing next Friday (I think) and the other person is the Saturday after that.

Good luck!! :) I hope you have gotten your invite already or will soon :)

Guest arcticaguy

Hi BCgirl,

I haven't heard anything yet...I should probably be expecting a letter soon then. My fingers are crossed. Things are beginning to get interesting now. I can't wait.

Thanks for the update.

Guest arcticaguy

Yaaaay!!!!

I got an interview invite for Feb 1 from Dal.

Now that I have it, I'm beginning to get more nervous as every day passes. I still have to prep. for it and will use every day from now till then to do so.

I should probably figure out how I can get there and where I'll stay....

any one know of a good place to stay at the night before the interview. The admissions secretary informed me that she hasn't heard of a "hosting" program at the med school (where an applicant can stay with a current med student!)

Does anyone know what past/current applicants have done/are doing?

Cheers.

Guest SnowBird

Does anyone know if ALL of the interview offers for Dalhousie have been given yet or if they are doing them in groups? I've heard that some people have been contacted about interviews and others have not. Have they sent out letters for those who aren't going to be interviewed??

Congrats arcticaguy! Good luck with your interview :)

As for a place to stay, I'm not sure what most applicants do. If you're going to stay in a hotel, I would recommend the Holiday Inn on the corner of Quinpool Rd. and Robie St. I have no idea what the rates are (could be pretty expensive), but it's really close to the Tupper medical building, the hospitals, and the Dal campus (you would easily be able to walk if you wanted to). There is also the Westin on Barrington St (I think it's on Barrington) and the Lord Nelson on Springarden Rd (I think that's expensive). The last 2 are further away (if walking) but by cab they're really close too. There are also a number of other hotels in the downtown area... I can't really think of any that would be quite cheap though. Maybe you can find some deals online or something?

Good luck!! :)

Guest arcticaguy

thanks Kristeen and BCgirl! I'm very excited, I can hardly concentrate on anything else, such as a thesis that's due quite soon ;)

Snowbird: I don't think they've contacted everyone yet, as I have a friend who has yet to be contacted and is guaranteed to reach the interview stage...barring a catastrophe. I do believe that Dal likes to do their interviews early on and reserve their decision till quite a bit later than many others.

Keep the faith!

Now, back to something that OKA mentioned in another thread...

do y'all think that Dal is conservative enough that not wearing a suit (for a guy) would be damaging, in terms of my chances for admission?

arcticaguy,

Who knows if it would be damaging or not, but why take the risk? Sure, I don't think they would reject you for your clothes, but maybe your first impression would be better with the suit. I say go for the suit - it won't hurt but maybe it'll help a bit. The guys that I know that are interviewing there are wearing suits.

Good luck!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest arcticaguy

Hi BCgirl, Thanks for asking! Overall, I think it went well, yet I had a difficult time connecting/drawing out emotion from either the student or the physician. Lots of interesting questions re. my background/group work skills, along with the other expected host of questions. The 30 mins. went by really fast.

My apologies for the late reply. Things are getting more and more hectic by the day-Thesis is due soon :eek

how are things with you?

Hi arcticaguy, your interview experience sounds a bit like one of the people that at my school. He said that his interviewer was pretty unresponsive, so he never knew if he was answering the questions the way his interviewer (I think it was a woman) wanted him to or when to stop his answer.

My interviews at UBC aren't until the 9th and 10th of March (it's coming up fast though!). Hopefully everything will go ok :)

Good luck with everything :)

Archived