Premed 101 Forums

Im/em Elective Split?

EM, is from experience, turning into an all-or-nothing like optho. Anyone I know who has backed up has got their back up. That being said I also know 4 people who went all in and went unmatched. EM is super-competitive, not all that helpful but honest. Guess it's a gut check. 

I only did EM and IM electives and matched to EM. I interviewed for EM, IM, and FM. You just have to find genuine reasons to explain your interest in each. But I'm an N=1, so take my experience (and those of anyone else you talk to) with a grain of salt.

Can you tell us the number of weeks in each? And how were your evaluations if you don't mind in EM? If you prefer, a PM would be welcome too. Thanks and grats on getting EM!

• 3 weeks later...

You should plan it strategically. It's not hard to land IM spot at your home school but typically require letters from IM to get an interview.

Instead of 3 weeks GIM, 3 weeks ICU, how about 2 weeks of IM electives each (2 weeks GIM, 2 weeks ICU, 2 weeks something else like cardiology) and get a letter from each to max out the 3 letters

Archived