Premed 101 Forums

U Of S Dentistry

Hi,

At the UBC open house it was mentioned that students have the opportunity in the summer after 3rd year to obtain a student summer license and work in a dental clinic. Does U of S offer this similar opportunity? Or in general, what do most dentistry students end up doing during the summer? Are there research positions within the faculty? 

Also in general, how doable is it to find a position after graduation not in the city you went to school? i.e. how challenging would it be for a U of S grad to find a position in Toronto after graduation? I'm assuming it would be easier for a U of T grad to stay in Toronto because they would be able to make those connections during the program.

Any information or advice surrounding any of these topics would be wonderful!

It depends on prov. gov. Saskechewan gov.  allows Tempo license at 3rd year summer. My son did it at 2014 summer over 2 months. There was 3 options. 1st u of S hospital dentist and they asked will you work in saskechewan  after grad? 2nd work at dentistry  with temp license usually at small town 3rd go Africa for volunteer , company pay accommodation ( air house food ) but no pay. My son took 2nd option and they need to do 1 option coz at 4th year they feel happy for there experience from summer job at least over 150 patients in real clinic. About Toronto, nobody care your DMD school or your GPA at dental school. You need only Ontario license that's it. and  Toronto is very competitive area for dentistry.

• 1 month later...

Hey. So yes in Saskatchewan you can apply for a temporary license. As for how much you make it depends where you go. Some get paid a flat rate, some will be paid similarly to an associate (% of what you bill out). Talking to classmates it varies quite a bit. . Without "knowing" someone it can be a bit of a challenge finding a job, particularly in Saskatoon, many of my classmates are in rural locations for the summer (or in Regina).

As for jobs afterwards.... They tell us we are very desirable and employable because we get lots of clinic experience as we start seeing patients at the end of 2nd year. I'm not sure how that compares to other schools. We also have no specialty programs at our school- so no competition for endo cases etc

Hope that helps.

Archived