Premed 101 Forums

Choosing kinesiology for undergrad

Guest brittanyy

Guest brittanyy

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has done a degree in kinesiology or is still in the program... How much do you like it? Would you reccomend it? So on and so fourth....

Cheers!

Guest Anna

Hi Britt,

I just graduated this year from Lakehead University's Kinesiology program. From my experiences in the program, I would recommend the program as a foundation for medicine (I am assuming that is what your end goal will be).

The Kinesiology program at LU was awesome at laying a great scientific foundation for me to build on this coming year in medical education. You learn anatomy, physiology, the biomechanics of the body, there are usually ergonomics and lifestyle consulting courses offered to help you understand how one goes about changing behaviour and how to recognize negative stressors to the body. Additionally, in LU's program we had a leadership course that helped us hone our leadership skills.

What other programs are you considering other than Kinesiology? I ask because as I started this pre-med journey, I created a back-up plan in case medicine never became a reality. Would you want a Kinesiology-related career for life? or have to undertake another program if medicine never panned out? My direction had medicine not panned out for me would have been to become a Kine prof...since the region of Ontario I live in has limited opportunities for Kinesiology grads. These are all things to consider.

Hope this has helped!

Anna :)

Guest brittanyy

Hi Anna!

I would be very interested in Kin. if I did not get into med school. Teaching or doing something else, I'm not sure which I would choose. I am currently looking at the U of A and UBC programs....

Thanks

Guest muchdutch

I can answer any of your questions regarding the kin program at the U of A as I am in it right now - ask away.

In the meantime, I will give you my overview. The U of A kin program is offered as a BSc through the faculty of Phys ed and Rec. As a result, I find this degree to be overly focussed on phys ed. I was expecting a bachelor of SCIENCE, with emphasis on the science part, obviously. This is not the case as I have sat through many a lecture that was not in any way relevant to my degree program (hello PERLS courses). While the program is new and the kinks are still being worked out, the admin doesn't seem to have changed this much. Recently they had a feedback session which many of us took very seriously and gave our suggestions to improve the program - for example, rather than taking sport history through phys ed, could we not take canadian history from another faculty to fulfill our history credit? Ditto for psychology, management, sociology, etc.? But no, we are required to take these courses within the faculty, all of which are heavily focussed on sport (to which I am not very inclined!!), not so much on the physical fitness side of things.

Yes, at the U of A you can fulfill all of the pre-req's for med (at least for at the U of A) within the kin degree program. This means that ALL of your options will be fillied with courses that you may not want to take, but have to (like physics, biology, etc.). If you are planning on applying to a university that requires different pre-reqs than the U of A, then you may have to take some summer courses extra to your degree (going on the assumption that you are going to be taking a full courseload - if not, then no worries on getting it done in 4 years). Even so, the first year physiology through phys ed (PEDS) does not count as the same as physiology credit for the rest of the university (even though they use the same textbook!), or for the med school, so you will have to take both physiology for your degree, and biology for med pre-reqs. Also, filling all of your options with pre-reqs may extend your degree because you need certain courses for your practicum, depending on which stream you decide upon. Unless you plan very carefully, your degree may stretch out longer than 4 years even if you do a full course load the whole time.

The administrative support you will receive from the phys ed department is the best on campus (although aside from the med school as I hear good things there too). The advisors (Todd and Christy) are great, friendly, helpful, and really know their stuff, and Bev is good to help you out with appointments and stuff. Definitely go see them in first year to plan your remaining years so you don't get burned at the end.

The degree program includes a 4 month practicum that you can set up pretty well anywhere if you want - some people go to New Zealand as a popular option. They also have some set up that you can basically choose from as well which takes away the stress of paperwork for you. It's also pretty diverse - working with the police force in recruitment, working with the horses at the racetrack, working at the steadward centre with physically disabled individuals, working with high-needs children, working with the varsity sports teams (and maybe even the edmonton eskies or oilers, though I'm not totally sure), and the list goes on. In this way you can be exposed to the breadth of what kinesiology can be applied for.

If you haven't attended the U of A already, then you must realize before you enter that it is a HEAVILY research focussed institution. Every single professor that I have had personal contact with mentions the weight of their research, and the pressure they have to publish. I spent two years in the general science program first, then in kin, and they all say the same thing. It's easy to find (in both faculties) profs who thoroughly enjoy both teaching and research and manage to do both very well, but it's unfortunately easier to find profs who can't do one or the other or either very well. Mostly, it ends up being the students who suffer because research productivity is fairly concrete whereas as long as they show up for class, they are fulfilling their teaching obligations. Within phys ed, there is a better ratio of good/bad profs than in science, but the bad ones are still the majority unfortunately.

As far as my experience goes, I have been pretty disappointed. I was really expecting it to be much different and I think that's where my disappointment comes from (there were different advisors when I was transferring over so I was a bit mis-lead). If you know what to expect, then you will have a blast. The student body is much smaller than in most faculties and this enables you to know people a bit more intimately which is nice. The largest lecture hall you will be in will be no more than 250 students (from the phys ed courses, the sciences will still be well over 300++). Most of the classes are 200 or less. Out of my top 9 favorite profs, 6 of them are from phys ed and they are fantastic individuals as well as great profs. There are some really great classes too with cool labs (example - performing VO2max tests, blood lactate during exercise, performing functional electrical stimulation etc.) It is very heavily sport focussed as I mentioned (I think the U of A makes it this way to distinguish itself from other kin programs), but if you're into that then you'll fit right in. And the people in the Kin program are on the whole quite successful - many go into PT, OT, RT, meds, and I know of two this year that got into chiropractic school too. It does truly prepare you for a career in the health care industry as you have the opportunity to spend a good chunk of time learning about physiology, anatomy, and therapy as well. (another perk - the only other cadaver anatomy class at the U of A, besides med and the masters programs of PT etc., belongs to phys ed as far as I know, and I hear it's an awesome experience!)

As far as my recommendations, if you are truly interested in kin (the science side, not the sport side), then do your research at other schools. The program is young as I mentioned and they may still change things from year to year, but make sure this is the right fit for you before you come here. I don't mean to discourage you, I just hope you know all about it so you won't be disapointed with the program like I am.

Also, I would do my science pre-reqs at a smaller institution while ensuring they transfer over for kin credit too. I have learned the hard way that I do much better in a smaller atmosphere rather than the crowded lecture halls of first year university science courses where everybody really is 'pre-med':lol !!

Guest jaegwon

Hi there,

I did my undergrad in kinesiology at UofA, followed by an MSc in kines/neuroscience.

I won't write out a summary right now, but if you have any specific questions, fire away!

edit: looks like i just posted when mutchdutch did; wow that's a long response!

My experiences gave me a more postive view of the program than mutchdutch perhaps....I don't think you'd have trouble fitting in prereqs (I took a year of general science before transfering to Kin and still finished in 4 years). The degree is very broad, which can be very good or bad - sometimes I wished there was more opportunity for focus, but in hindsight I'm glad I obtained a relatively diverse education. Also, if you have a good reason, you can substitute outside courses for Phys Ed ones.

Also, if you have any interest in motor behavior or neurophysiology, there is a great group of researchers at UofA

Guest nbmom

Hi,

I did a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology at U of New Brunswick, I loved my program! I didn't have to take too many sport courses after 2nd year and was able to choose more sciency courses such as physiology and biomechanics. Kinesiology isn't just for jocks and future p.e. teachers, however I do think the program might me more appealing to someone who has an interest in physical fitness as upper year courses aren't straight science they are specific to exercise, movement, or rehabilitation. So if you are just interested in human bio then Kin isn't the program for you.

I think it is important to look at the programs you are considering and what you will have to take and what kind of flexibility you will have to take your pre reqs. As far as UBC...if you are looking for the best kin program in vancouver it is SFU hands down it has a far better reputation for research in kin science, therefor it attracts better professors in the field, and I have also heard the curriculum is way better. I have a friend at the ubc hkin program and even she says she wishes she had went to SFU.

Guest brittanyy

MutchDutch (or whoever!)....

Knowing what you know now would you have chosen a program with a more science orientated curriculum? I am very into physical fitness, and how the body works but if I do not get into med school what can you get with your bachelor's or master's degree in kin.?

Guest muchdutch
Also, if you have a good reason, you can substitute outside courses for Phys Ed ones.

really? this must only pertain to specific courses in specific circumstances because I had first year soc and still had to take perls 104 and wanted to take other psych classes but still had to take the sport psych ones.

and you're right - there's a great group of researchers in motor behavior and neurophysiology at the U of A as well as an up an coming exercise oncology research division that is very busy and well recognized too!

If I could choose again, I would choose a much more science based kin program. I am very interested in the exercise, rehab, or movement programs that nbmom speaks of, there just aren't that many at the u of a. There are a few great senior level classes (anatomy, advanced ex phys, motor learning and behavior, etc.), it's just that you can't incorporate them all into your degree if you want to meet the pre-reqs for your practicum stream and med. Or, you can't do them in the 4 years. Don't get me wrong - I like kin much more than general science, and if I had to I'd choose kin again, but if I had the option I would go more science based than sport based.

As far as what you can do with your kin degree, I am not out yet so I don't really know the full extent of it. We had a career fair where speakers came and told us what they did with their degrees - one works for the alberta government coming up with recreation initiatives, one works for the military base here in edmonton, one works for workers compensation, and one started up his own company that is quite successful which involves consulting with companies and improving their worker fitness by implementing fitness regimes, dietician advising, etc. It's pretty broad and has tons of stuff it's applicable to. Jaegwon? nbmom? You're both out of it now - any suggestions?

Guest jaegwon

Mutchdutch - I think your right about it not being easy to replace courses...they don't encourage it. I think its also a matter of talking to the right people (I had some good connections ;) )

Brittany - The first thing to keep in mind is that kinesiology isn't a vocationally oriented degree. The success you'll have in finding successful employment post-degree largely depends on how you market yourself and knowing what skills and talents you can offer a company. There are usually links on faculty webpages listing the types of careers that kines grads pursue...so I won't list them again here. I personally found a job working for an engineering company doing biomechanics testing...there are interesting positions out there beyond the usual (fitness training, rehab assist.) but you need to plan well, look in the right places, make good connections, etc.

What I'd recommend if you don't know exactly what you want to do is to first pick the university you'd be most comfortable at. Register in the program you think you'd like the best (i.e. kines) and take as wide a variety of courses as you can in your first year, taking both kines requirements and med school prereqs (talk to an advisor about program planning). Talk to professors about volunteering in a lab (note: one great thing about kines is that, at least for me, it was very easy to get research experience).

Once you've taken 1/2 year to 1 year you should have a better idea about what you want to do and not be too far (if any) behind in fulfilling degree requirements. If you find you don't like kines, you can transfer to a science program.

Hi Britt,

In response to what can you do with a Kine degree, I would agree with what others have said that you need to market your skills...with a little bit of extra training following Kines you could go into Ergonomics consulting, an extra year could land you as a Phys Ed teacher, with the Kine degree itself you are limited to lifestyle appraisal, rehab in hospitals, personal training...that kind of thing. A Master's in Kine basically increases your pay bracket by a tiny fraction, but can also lead you to a PHd in which case you can become a Kine Prof...If you are into research, a Masters in Kine can land you a research job especially if you have a bio background/foundation in terms of the courses you take.

Hope that helps.

Anna :)

Archived