Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Undergrad Course Levels?

Hello everyone,

First of all, congrats to all who received offers, this must be very exciting! And to all who have been good waitlisted: GOOD LUCK! and to all who got bad-listed: courage!

But, getting to it:

I have been doing a lot of preparation in anticipation of starting my 2nd undergrad in September of 2017 and have been taking a look at what courses I want to take. Unfortunately, in reading a lot of information, much of this has gotten jumbled around in my mind...

I remember reading something about the fact that the courses that you take in your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year somehow need to correspond to their year levels. I am not sure if this is clear (sorry english isn't my first language) but what I mean by this is that for instance I read somewhere that you needed to take at least 3 out of 5 courses that are at the level of your undergrad year. So for example

An acceptable semester for your 2nd year of undergrad would look something like this:

Psyce104

Psyce105

Physics 201

Physics 202

Physics 208

Where 3 of your courses are at least 2nd year courses.

An UNACCEPTABLE semester for your 2nd year of undergrad would look something like this:

Psyce104

Psyce105

Psyce106

Physics 201

Physics 202

This would be unacceptable because only 2 out of 5 of your courses are 2nd year level courses.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I cannot remember if what I described above was for the University of Ottawa or whether it was for another medical school.

I have perused the university of ottawa website as well as the OMSAS 2016 application handout repeatedly and could not find any reference to this particular rule. Am I safe in assuming this rule is from another school? Or is there some hidden website/piece of information that I have been unable to find again?

Please advise.

The rule you are talking about is for Western.

Also, it's not considered by term - the 2nd example you posted could be fine if your other term had at least 4 2nd year+ level courses such that you still maintained the 3/5 rule for the year overall.

None of this applies to Ottawa.

Archived