Premed 101 Forums

Finding A Place To Rent In Toronto.

Hey, 

I am calling in places to try and get a bachelor room to rent when i hopefully get into UofT, and the places I call are all either all booked up or have ridiculous prices. maybe someone who is already a student can shed some light on what i should do? 

If you want to save, you have to do some combination of the following:

• Lower your expectations
  • Find a roommate or roommates
  • Look long and hard

I lived in downtown Toronto for nearly a decade. I started out paying $800 a month sharing a place with a friend and ended up paying $1700 a month for my own place (and that was a relative bargain; my landlord could easily have rented it for closer to $2k). That said, I went up in quality each time I moved, but I lived in a lot of condos/apartments.

Toronto's real estate market is hot. If you want to live near the school (and I strongly advise you do), expect to pay at least $1500 on your own, $1000 with a roommate.

If living costs are a concern, don't go to U of T or UBC. I'd say Edmonton and Winnipeg give much better bang for your buck in terms of quality of life and housing quality to price, re: cities with dental schools.

If you want to save, you have to do some combination of the following:

• Lower your expectations
  • Find a roommate or roommates
  • Look long and hard

I lived in downtown Toronto for nearly a decade. I started out paying $800 a month sharing a place with a friend and ended up paying $1700 a month for my own place (and that was a relative bargain; my landlord could easily have rented it for closer to $2k). That said, I went up in quality each time I moved, but I lived in a lot of condos/apartments.

Toronto's real estate market is hot. If you want to live near the school (and I strongly advise you do), expect to pay at least $1500 on your own, $1000 with a roommate.

If living costs are a concern, don't go to U of T or UBC. I'd say Edmonton and Winnipeg give much better bang for your buck in terms of quality of life and housing quality to price, re: cities with dental schools.

why do you strongly advise me to live near school? is it really that much of a burden if my commute by bus is about 1 hour long? 

why do you strongly advise me to live near school? is it really that much of a burden if my commute by bus is about 1 hour long? 

You're in class 8-5 and probably have to stay after from roughly 5-7 for lab work, extracurriculars, pre-clinical practice, etc. 

I'm not saying it's impossible; people who lived in the GTA did it, but the grand majority of people will live downtown near the school.  It's not worth the time and heartache. You'll be happier, healthier, more flexible and more social if you live near school. You'll even have more time to study.

You're in class 8-5 and probably have to stay after from roughly 5-7 for lab work, extracurriculars, pre-clinical practice, etc. 

I'm not saying it's impossible; people who lived in the GTA did it, but the grand majority of people will live downtown near the school.  It's not worth the time and heartache. You'll be happier, healthier, more flexible and more social if you live near school. You'll even have more time to study.

okay, if I willing to spend around 1200 where can i go to find a place? everything i seen is booked for september

In that price range, you're going to have to go further, older, or get roommates. www.padmapper.com and www.viewit.ca can help.

Also, I'm a bit confused, because this really isn't something you should be worrying about given that you're not accepted yet. A lot of people end up rooming together with their classmates once everyone's accepted and etc., you might contact each other on Facebook and go from there.

I also highly doubt you should be deciding on your budget now, given that things will change when you actually get accepted, re: your finances, a line of credit, the actual price of housing in Toronto.

In that price range, you're going to have to go further, older, or get roommates. www.padmapper.com and www.viewit.ca can help.

Also, I'm a bit confused, because this really isn't something you should be worrying about given that you're not accepted yet. A lot of people end up rooming together with their classmates once everyone's accepted and etc., you might contact each other on Facebook and go from there.

I also highly doubt you should be deciding on your budget now, given that things will change when you actually get accepted, re: your finances, a line of credit, the actual price of housing in Toronto.

okay I just like to be prepared and know my options so that am not rushed in making decisions when I am accepted (hopefully) lol. 

Archived