Premed 101 Forums

Getting into an Intl Med School out of High School?

Guest superstorecanadian

Guest superstorecanadian

Is it possible? Also, will your degree be respected in North America? i.e. Chance at getting into residencies and such

Guest superstorecanadian

Im just curious, im doing my undergrad at York and some people I know were discussing this during lecture :\

Guest leviathan

I imagine it is possible. I believe this is the route that Irish students take and the program is 6 years in length. As long as the degree is recognized, they should be able to practice medicine afterwards.

Guest aneliz

As long as you are at an accredited school (read: well recognised, in a similar-to-North-American-System-country) you may be able to compete for a Cdn residency position and come back to Canada to practice medicine... however, some things to be aware of:

1. HIGH tuition for 'visa' students... you think tuition is bad here, check out what some of the UK schools charge non-UK residents!!!

2. Many 6-year-direct out of high school entry programs 'weed' significantly as you go through... ie: just because you get in, doesn't mean that you are going to graduate.

3. ??? ability to come back and practice in Canada and ??? access to residency of your choice... lots of debate about this right now.. check out the med student forum threads on IMG's and Carms (Doctors get out of your cabs)

I knew a kid, graduated high school when he was 13, graduated college at 16, too young to get accepted in North America, went to Ireland and graduated at 22. He's now doing ENT at UCLA. Obviously a smart kid, but med schools here wouldn't even look at his app cuz he was too young. (Actually, I believe you have to be at least 21 when you graduate med school)

Guest Paulchemguy

hmm i might be wrong but haven't there been some prodigies who get into med school at a young age and did a MD/Phd? i thought there's some people like that at UBC or something...

Guest Adversary

There is one guy in Third Year at UBC who got in at 19 years old. He was the front page for the Vancouver Sun that year he got in.

Guest aneliz

There is no age restriction on how old you need to be either when you start or finish medical school. However, you would need to be a pretty remarkable 16 year old to convince the admissions committees that you have more than just the academic ability to succeed at medical school. They would need to see some fairly substantial evidence of life experience, good reasons why you should do medicine (as opposed to any other career) and good evidence that you will be able to cope with the 'non-academic' stresses and expectations of medical school. I think that most ad comms would be a little, I don't know, unconvinced, that a 16 year old academic wunderkind would have the non-academic maturity and life experience that they are looking for.

No matter what you have done as a 16 year old, it is difficult to compete against 25 year olds with PhD's in the maturity and life experience department.

Guest marbledust

I read an article a few years ago about an student in Oklahoma who started medical school when she was 16. She had to delay her residency plans by one year because in that state you need to be at least 21 to have any type of medical licence and she wanted to stay there for residency. I don't know if other states have this type of rule, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Guest Paulchemguy

maybe the interviewers didn't have access to info such as age, etc.... and maybe the 16yr old looked like a 25yr old... that's a possibility!

Guest peachy
I'm pretty sure they ask questions about age/sex etc. on all applications.
That doesn't mean that the file reviewers or interviewers necessarily have access to the information, though.

Guest Chowchilla

us world news and rankings publishes a guide to medical schools. in there you can find a whole list of american medical schools which will accept students right out of high school. check that out if you're really interested.

Archived