Premed 101 Forums

What Should I Do?

Hello! 

I was rejected from UofT and was waitlisted at UWO this year and unfortunately did not get off the waitlist. 

Been hopeful and waited all throughout the summer but sometimes.. life just doesn't go your way, haha. 

I'm confused, lost, and upset..but I know I need to think what I need to do for the upcoming year but I had some concerns. I did a 2nd degree in 2015, and my grades weren't so good again. 

My best 2 year is 87% and was very lucky that I even got an interview invite at UWO with my grades. 

My question is, do I go back to school for another year and complete the 2nd degree (full or part time??)

, or just work & volunteer, jack up my EC's (although I don't see why I can't do these while I'm at school, haha. just not as much).

Also do I take the DAT again? I'm not confident that I can repeat these scores. 24 RC, 22 AA 

I also know UWO doesn't take the school year you are currently in.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Hello! 

I was rejected from UofT and was waitlisted at UWO this year and unfortunately did not get off the waitlist. 

Been hopeful and waited all throughout the summer but sometimes.. life just doesn't go your way, haha. 

I need to think what I need to do for the upcoming year but I had some concerns. I did a 2nd degree in 2015, and my grades weren't so good again. I'm completely at a loss because my 2nd degree won't be helping me..

My best 2 year is 87% and was very lucky that I even got an interview invite at UWO with my grades. 

My question is, do I go back to school for another year and complete the 2nd degree (full or part time??)

, or just work & volunteer, jack up my EC's (although I don't see why I can't do these while I'm at school, haha. just not as much).

Also do I take the DAT again? I'm not confident that I can repeat these scores. 24 RC, 22 AA 

I also know UWO doesn't take the school year you are currently in.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Can you apply to accredited dental schools internationally? My suggestion is if $ is not an issue, you can look into US (Detroit a fav among Canadian students) , Australia, Ireland

Hey kwyhan,

I was in your exact same situation (I applied in 4th year to UT and UWO only. Was rejected from U of T, waitlisted at UWO and barely didn't make it into the class--I was like 1st or 2nd in line after the waitlist finished). 

I bummed around for a year, took some more courses, upped my GPA, did NOT retake the DAT (it was not my weak point; my crappy 3rd year grades were) and when I reapplied I was accepted to U of T. I also applied to a butt ton of US schools and got into some really great ones as well as was offered several substantial scholarships that made US schooling basically the same cost as Canadian schooling.

Funnily enough for UWO my best two year average was also around 88-89%. I think I bungled my interview. When I applied to U of T again my worst year was dropped so I was able to weasel my way into the class (once again, via the waitlist).

So don't despair. A lot of people don't get in on their first try, and persistence pays off. You have the grades clearly, if you were waitlisted at UWO. I'd advise you take whatever course of action is most likely to bring up your grades: take another year, or do a short masters degree in something you're interested in. Be patient with it, because it will be a time investment, and then when you're ready, try not to put all your eggs into a single basket (we both made this mistake). U.S. schools are great, and if you apply smartly you can get a lot of financial help as well.

I never thought I'd be here because I was never as academically strong as a lot of my friends in undergrad, but I'm typing this from my associateship right now, first patient in 10 minutes with a full schedule and 3 hygienists under my watch. So I guess persistence pays.

Keep at it.

[Edit]: Also I wouldn't retake the DAT. Your score is great. I had a 23AA, 26RC. The DAT doesn't count for that much; work on what matters (your GPA and your application).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived