Premed 101 Forums

supplemental application

Guest missing Manitoba

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi!

I'm currently working on my U of M application, and I'm wondering about the "employment, extracurricular, and other activities" section of the supplemental app.

There are only three spaces for each, so can we only include 3 activities? How bad does it look if we don't have three activities for one of these? Also, what would be considered "other", as opposed to "extracurricular"? And, finally, does anyone know how the U of M converts percentage grades to the 4.5 system?

Thanks.

Guest sazzafrazz

Hi missing,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your request, I haven't checked the board for a few days. Are you in province or out of province?

Regarding the employment, extracurricular, and other activities. I would make every attempt to fill out all the areas where ever possible. Of course if you have some amazing experiences then you may be able to get away with less. Just know that the caliber of people taken in the class this year is quite high and variable (as far as experience goes). Everyone has unique experiences and areas of strength. Note I said areas, plural.

The other very noticeable quality in my classmates is the ability to sell themselves. You have to convey confidence especially in the interview. All experiences you have will be great on your application providing you sell them properly. Selling your experiences on your application does not mean you are purgoring yourself. You need to take a look at the experiences you do have (all of them) and explore how they have made you into the person that you are today and how they will affect the type of Doctor you will be.

Also, your experiences, etc give the application committee a chance to see the type of person you are. They are particularly interested in individuals that have "a life". So make sure you demonstrate that you do.

For example, I was a tree planter. (true) This has absolutely nothing to do with medicine. It does have a lot to do with hard work in sometimes appalling conditions, camaraderie, giving something back to the community, environment, etc. I planted over 45,000 trees in just one season. Just be proud of the experiences you do have.

Are you having any other areas you need help with or maybe a more specific question? Did I answer your question completely?

Manitoba's med school is awesome!

saz

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi Sazzafrazz.

Thanks for replying.

I'm a Manitoba resident doing my undergrad in Ontario.

The problem I'm having with the supplemental application is that there are exactly 3 spaces in each of three categories: employment, extracurricular, and "other". These are to be filled in with activities from the past 3 years. However, due to illnesses during the past three summers, I have only had one paid job in this time (hence, spaces 2 and 3 in this section are blank). On the other hand, I have participated in more than 3 extracurricular activities and more than 3 "other" activities. I guess I'm wondering if it's permissible to include the additional activities (say, for example, by including an additional page) so that I don't look like a lazy schmuck with no life experience.

Also, do you know the conversions from percentage grades to either (a) U of M letter grades or (B) the U of M GPA scale? (i.e. what is an A+/4.5 at the U of M?)

Thanks for the advice/info on the "life experience" side of the application process. I'm not big on selling myself, so that will definitely be the most difficult hurdle for me to overcome.

Guest sazzafrazz

hello again missing

Grade conversions

This is a best guess from my undergrad work. I'll try to get more conformation from the administration for next week. So...are you then applying as a regular category in province student?

Letter grade score percentage (min)

A+ 4.5 90%

A 4.0 80%

B+ 3.5 75%

B 3.0 70%

C+ 2.5 65%

C 2.0 60%

D 1.0 48-50% Depends on prof/class

So a full year course that you got an A+ in is worth 4.5 while a half course is 2.25.

There may be a percentage conversion table similar to the one used for out of (Ontario) students when applying in Ontario. I'll try to check this out and let you know. What school is your undergrad at? They have different scales for different schools.

I also recommend making contact with the U of M registrar ASAP and maintaining intermittent contact. He's difficult to catch but he's very helpful to prospective students. He can give you specific information. It's a good idea for you to start getting your name in the office, anyway. By the time they get to deciding who's in and who's out you will stand a better chance if you've made good contacts (professionally handled). I probably had at least 4 meetings with him and several phone calls and e-mail correspondance. Don't pester him, be organized when speaking with him, plan your questions for each contact.

The registrar is Charles Paragg. He was fantastic. His assistant is Christie Struch. Christie is excellent too. You should contact her and she will probably lead you to Charles once your questions become more entailed. Phone (204)789-3499.

I wouldn't say that you look like a lazy "scmuck" as you put it. Your application needs to look accomplished. You need to look accomplished. I probably would include the other activities providing they make a contribution to your application. Are any of your extracurricular activities volunteer, or maybe research, or maybe do you have any teaching with summer camps, etc? Also the last three years thing is odd. This was not part of my application.

The application plays a role in getting you an interview, however, who gets an interview is mostly decided on AGPA and MCAT. Where your application comes in will be once you're in your interview. Before going to your interview (if granted one) you will be asked to submit and autobiography. Here's where you tell anything and everything in detail that makes you a(n) good candidate, unique individual, upstanding, outstanding, etc, etc. The more experiences you have for your interviewers to question you on the fewer the questions you'll get that are "crazy" and difficult. What about travel? This is always an intriguing option on the application.

Let me know how its going?

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi Sazzafrazz!

Thanks for the amazing reply and the advice. I will definitely try to contact the registrar as soon as possible.

In answer to your question, I'm currently doing my undergrad at Queen's. And, yes, I am applying in the in-province regular category.

Archived