Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba Student Loans

Guest tim23

Guest tim23

How much were people getting from Manitoba student loans for med school? I'm living at home that will cut the amount I can get right? I want to know if I should look into putting a car purchase in a parents name to keep interest free loan, but if we don't get more than 4-5K anyways it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

also, when they calculate assests is it net assets? i.e. I borrow 40K from LOC and invest it in something or buy a car, are my assets assesed as 40K or 40K + (-40K debt)=0 ?

Edit: I just noticed this statement from the website:

A student will continue to be considered the owner or primary operator if the sale or transfer of a vehicle could not be considered at "arms length." An arms-length transaction is a transaction between two or more parties who are not connected by family ties or who do not have any knowledge of each other

If i give my parents the money and they buy it would this avoid this problem? What if I transfer it back to myself as soon as I get my money from province, will i have to pay interest? I have a feeling manitoba may be different then the OSAP stuff people discuss on the other threads

Thanks for any feedback

Tim

Archived