Premed 101 Forums

I need some advice with my application

Guest PerfectMoment

Guest PerfectMoment

I would like to bolster my application. I just finished my 2nd year and my marks aren't the greatest. I will be writing the MCAT this summer and hope to apply for med school in my 3rd year. After this year, my cumulative GPA will be 3.675(which is unadjusted). It's peppered with quite a few B+'s and B's. I'm taking cell bio and biochem this summer to hopefully up that GPA a bit more (which is stupid to say, because both are relatively hard... but I have the confidence in myself). Looking conservatively, I think I can get A's in both courses, though I definitely think I can get A+'s in both if I try hard enough. On to my actual question, what can I do to improve my chances of getting in? I know my GPA isn't stellar by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that if those lowest 15 credit hours is dropped, my aGPA will be in the 3.8-3.9 range if I were to get all A's next year. I have zero research, and zero hospital exposure. However, I have been volunteering weekly at the children's museum for 4 years. As well, I also coach soccer, and am active with my church in terms of sunday school and helping with the youth group.

Should I start looking for a volunteer position that's medically related? Should I look harder for a research position? I know that I have to ace the MCATs in order to make up for my less than stellar GPA and extracurrics.

As well, I'm pretty flustered as to who to ask as references. I am thinking I would ask my volunteer coordinator at the museum, and my pastor at church. But I have no idea who I else to ask. I'm leaning towards asking my first year econ prof, because he and I are friendly and he can talk about both my dedication, and as well as my *ahem* ability to excel. I figure that if I take a 2nd year course with him, he would know me even better.

So yeah, I know this is really fragmented and all over the place, but bear with me. I also didn't really ask any particular questions, sorta just throwing things out there, but yeah, any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Guest fever meds

I answered a similar question in Accepted/Reject thread for Manitoba...see that for extracurrics, etc.

Are you taking biochem I or II during cell bio? Cell bio is an A+ course with Odd Bres (UM ?). Yes you must work at it, but I know its possible (I did better in it then biochem). Biochem II is not hard really either (albeit my weakest course) but lots of memorization...I would definitely take it byitself in summer....

GPA peppered with B, and B+'s? Are you overextended - i.e. working a job during school and too many extracurrics or just poor time management? Do you spend a lot of time socializing? I have seen too many people lose focus - med must be your #1 focus. Everything else is temporal and irrelevant (unless of course you absolutely need the money for school, but I would still try to get loans or some other way so these do not distract you).

So #1 develop a better study methods...hard to say why you are not getting more A's without really knowing you.

You must fix #1 before you can #2 "ace the MCAT". The second mistake many people make is thinking they can somehow magically pull of MCAT without having put solid work into the first 2 years. You are going to have to probably work much harder to ensure you understand the material. But I have faith that you can do it if you are motivated...but you must really find your passion for med and your drive - ppl may laugh at this but it has to be a hunger, for some maybe even an obession (but that may be going a little too far). For me what helped keep me focused is being able one day to work with patients and to see that there was an end in sight but to keep focused on it.

#3 stop wasting time on hypothesizing what you may get. If your pessimistic you'll just depress yourself. If you're optimistic you'll probably get false confidence and not push yourself. PUSH! YOU CAN DO IT! BUT YOU HAVE TO BE FOCUSED!

#4 Extracurrics: Your activities look good. Coaching is very good because it shows tremendous responsibility. Church is great too. I would maybe drop the museum thing now and get a job volunteering in a hospital, ideally in an area that would give you exposure to a variety of patients, and complaints. I think ideally this is emergency (I'll admit, as an ER volunteer I am quite partial to this). IC patients are too sick to be of much help, and in geriatric centres/rehab you probably only see one category of patient (but I could be wrong). Nevertheless volunteering in an ER in a small hospital probably gives one the greatest flexibility (i.e. to pursue other avenues like shadowing) and most exposure to variety of pathologies and subsequent tests. A medicine ward would probably also be good too.

Research can be hit or miss provided that you are lucky enough to get a position. Research is not all the same, some have a higher impact factor then others. I.e. counting plant hybrids is not nearly as important to medicine as say cardiac research or cancer. Also in my experience, none of the 3 interviews I had really brought up my research experience....so I wouldn't waste too much time here but rather focus on hospital volunteering.

If you are still insistent on research your best bet is to work as a volunteer. Your GPA is likely too low to be competitive for rare positions (NRC scholarships require at least a 4.0 I believe). Some researchers LOVE volunteers because they don't have to pay for them!

#5 References. Ask the people who you feel would make a good reference if they could write a STRONG reference for you. If they hesitate MOVE ON! I asked 3 people 1) high school principal 2) my research employer (MD/PhD) 3) doctor who I shadowed

All three cover different areas, but 2/3 were in medicial community which I believe probably throws extra weight because these individuals know what qualities are necessary for becoming a physician (well at least hopefully).

However danger of references is that if they are the type that is always busy/stressed/lazy/poor writer/really doesn't know you well you will probably end up with a mediocre and generic reference letters. I believe Beth Jennings (or another admissions officer at another school) said not to use volunteer coordinators as usually they have a generic template.

Also provide your referees a list of qualities that you believe you have, and some of your accomplishments both related and unrelated to the frame of reference from which they know you. Writing references are hard. Giving the referee a framework will make it easier for them to be more creative/thorough of the letter.

Having said this, I believe Manitoba did not require a letter, but rather simply a check off form with a short paragraph written by reviewer. This is in contrast to many Ontario schools.

#6 MCAT - if you want to score at least 30 on the MCAT you're going to have to spend at least 4-6 hours every week night and almost 12 hours on weekends (I only took about 4 hours off every saturday). I can almost hear the snickering from other forum goers, but for me thats what it took, and I think in your case its going to take at least that. I am not sure if I would advise even taking summer courses as those may distract you from the MCAT and/or burn you out. Although anecdotal, I knew two students last year who in your scenario and who took both courses. Both bombed verbal and could not even apply to Manitoba. Also limit the amount of job hours you're working, in order to study.

Finally, this summer will NOT be fun. If you are absolutely serious about med, you better sacrifice this summer. I had NO summer last year (I also had a job which required lots of learning on side too as well as writing papers...). But you know what? This summer I now already have an acceptance, and 5/7 of my tuition paid for!

Anyways I wouldn't have posted this long msg (which took me about 30 min to write/think of) unless I believed you and others in similar situation could pull it off. I have seen so many people like you with great potential only to circle the drain because they lost focus and/or didn't believe in themselves and work hard enough.

Anyone can get into med. Its not rocket science! It just comes down to hard work.

FOCUS + HARDWORK + PERSERVERENCE = acceptance

Good luck!!!

Guest PerfectMoment

that was great post.

I know that a major reason that I did badly this year was due to the fact that I was overextended... Last term I was working nearly 30 hours a week and when my midterm marks came, I had to drop 2 courses. I then ended up with a B in both organic I and microbio A. I also got a B+ in stats that term. That was my worst term ever, and I had a renewed focus on doing well this term. Yet I ended up a B in microbio B and organic II and A's and A+ in 3 other courses. I still don't know how I did so badly in microbio, because I was coming in with an A+, but came out of that exam feeling like utter sh*t. I was probably way too overconfident that I would pull off a good score, and didn't study hard enough. I dunno.

My first year, I think I can probably attribute my lack of success to too much work and bad study habits. I came in with a 90 something average from high school and foolishly thought I would coast through school. Little did I know that University is a whole other ball game.

It's not like I'm unmotivated either. But I find that of the time that I set aside for studying, probably only 1/3 to 1/2 of that time is actually spent studying... I've got a mind that wanders like you wouldn't believe. Of the time that I do study, it is quite constructive and I get quite a bit done, but I'm beginning to think more and more that I've got some form of ADD, however mild it may be. Maybe I should see the doctor about it, I dunno, but I'd rather not use that as a crutch.

I wish I could say that I could stop working, but realistically, I can't. My family is poor and I have to help pay some bills to as great an extent as I can. I'm loaned out the ass, but still have to work. Right now I'm working something like 12 hours a week and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my undergrad career. There's not much I can change about this.

With that said, I plan on devoting all of June and all of August to studying for hte MCAT. I will also be putting in as much time as I can during May/July, when I'm taking my summer courses (I'm taking biochem I btw, but will do so with a lab excemption, which I think will be huge). Does this sound feasible? I know that I'm not the type of person who can just learn this stuff easily... I have to grind it out, but I'm certain I can do it.

I was thinking I would ask my volunteer coordinator to write me a letter of reference because she knows me quite well, and has known me for 4 years. We talk regularly about how I'm doing in school and my career goals and stuff, so I think that she can write great things about me.

What do you think I should do about the hospital exposure? The ER thing you said sounds great. It would be great to have exposure to the front-lines of modern public health. Any idea where I should go to? I would think that a place like HSC would be inundated with applications for volunteers and as such, would only have more menial type jobs for their volunteers. What did you do?

Thanks again!

Guest fever meds

lol. I don't mean to be sexist but I bet you're a male right? I am guy, and my mind wonders all the time. I think its more likely a guy thing. All the girls I know are much more focused then I was.

HSC? Forget about it. Too big, some elements may turn you off of med for the wrong reasons. Some people thing that an affiliation with HSC results in like more recognition or prestige or that the doctors will see you and somehow magically appear on your interview panel (which they won't). I would pick any local hospital around you. I volunteer at Concordia. I think its a great hospital. Small, friendly, but because we're on the outskirts we do get some major cases (if you like excitement) but albeit these are few and far inbetween (unlike HSC i imagine)).

you wont really have all of august becuase its on the 20th (last year on the 15th).

If your work during June and August is short (like 12 hours) you probably will pull it off if you work EVERY MINUTE you have. (again, socializing = bombing; you have no time for having fun, just remeber that). Ideally prep is about 3 months, but others say 1 month will suffice. It really depends on intensity and effectiveness.

Make sure you do lots of practice exams. Reading isn't good enough. The practice exams and your scores are best at gauging your progress/weak areas/ and readiness.

PM me if you want some ideas of practice materials

Guest tim23

Don't over stress the MCAT. 1 month of casual studying and 1 month of more intense studying is all you need max. I did that last summer, while working 40 hours a week. Overstudying will just contribute to increased anxiety and 'mindwondering' and will not help you on the MCAT.

Also, fever meds is right that you don't want to waste too much of your time if you're going to be working, I toned down my social life, but not to that extreme. I still went out drinking atleast once a week up until one week before exam, again if you don't you'll go nuts and it won't help. (once a week may not be toning it down for some but it was for me- so do whatever suits you as long as you don't get too restless)

good luck

Tim

PS If your thinking about it I think that KAPLAN is a waste, it works for some but it definetly isn't neccesary to do well.

Guest fever meds

extreme?!?!? you call that extreme?!?!? heheh just kidding.

point is = have to good use of time.

Also bear in mind that tim23, is probably an exceptional student judging by some of his posts.

1 month might be too short given that you didn't get A+'s on your other courses (like organic, etc).

Some people (e.g. tim23) will say don't stress over MCAT. probably right.

However I'd rather freak out anyday then take it easy and have to do another year (or more) of university. Its better to say you were a geek and over study then UNDERSTUDY. OVERSTUDYING has never hurt anyone.

I just want to reiterate how many people I have known (at least 10) that didn't take MCAT seriously enough and were rejected.

I only know 2 people who only spent about 2 weeks preping for it (one is pending admission; the other was rejected last year; albeit most likely because of interview)

I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Guest tim23

yeah I guess I might be a bit of slacker :)

...just trying to show that there is a variety of ways to study, do what's best for you

thanks for the complements fever meds, I guess were probably gonna be classmates, congrats on the admission btw

Tim

Guest sweetstuff25

I totally agree with fever med's advice. every person is different and i am one of those ppl that need to learn how to focus. my mind wonders like crazy when i study. and for the mcat, i am evidence that taking classes and studying for the mcat really hurt verbal. i didn't have enough focus on the mcat until i started cramming 2 weeks before the real thing. i'm sure there are people that just "know" the material and ace it, but i am definitely not that person. too bad i thot that being a 90+ student in high school would make a difference but high school was useless. take home message: focus, focus and focus.

Guest fever meds

I took the Kaplan course too. The only thing I got out of it was the practice materials. The in class stuff was for the most garabage - except maybe the idea to "zero" my analog watch. lol. Oh yes and James Tsang (Med II next year and instrucutr then) said something about pressure...

BUT I still did all the practice and that definately helped.

Congrats to you too tim23! Yes there probably is a good possibility that we are classmates next year. lol at inaugural ceremony they should have like a sign up - "screen name and correspondign real name" lol

then we might actually know eachother lol.

Good luck to all those writing mcat. STOP reading forums now! you have enough advice! study!!!

Guest PerfectMoment

Unfortunately, I don't quite have the means to pay the $1400 or whatever it is for Kaplan. That would be asking a LOT of my parents. I have confidence that I can do it myself. I've got all the study material I need. There are practice exams and tests out the arse (I bought something off ebay which included all a whole bunch of exams).

I envy smart people so much. If only I were able to understand and comprehend things after the first read through. Or have the magical ability to study for exams just days before the actual thing, and ace it. It's crazy to hear that some classmates can do this... then there's me, and I have to put so much time and effort into this stuff. blah.

But yeah, have you heard anything about volunteering at the Misericordia? It's obviously not as new, shiny, or prestigious as HSC or St. Boniface, but if what you say is correct, I would probably be more involved in the day to day hospital stuff than I would at HSC. Maybe I could try out for Concordia too...

Guest tim23

I volunteered at Misericordia, good experience lots of hands on stuff with patients, not many doctors around there though if thats what your looking for

Guest fever meds

med myth: there are people who can understand and comprehend things after first read.

barring the really really really odd exceptions, these people DO NOT EXIST. Rather most people, in my humble opinion, who seem uber smart, usually just hide how hard they study for fear of being labelled a geek.

some people who do grasp concepts easily may have had a foundation to the topic previously. maybe another course had set them up to better understand the concept.

anyways message here is all of us (including the smart ones) probalby at one point in another thought that someone was smarter or better or faster or w/e. Yes some people are smarter than others probably to some degree, but the rest of us are just average.

I had same problem as you, but slowly I realized that I myself made "these people" seem smarter than I, simply as a way to justify my own problems studying.

i believe you can do it and i don't really even know you but I believe. So now you have to believe in yourself. Sounds philosophical I know, but if you don't believe that you can compete with the rest, including the smartest, no one will, except for maybe me! lol ;-)

get of the forums now, and STUDY. and don't come back until you nail it ;-) (forums are a huge waste of time when you get addicted to them)

Archived