Premed 101 Forums

Reason for early decision

Guest tim23

Guest tim23

You guys are going to hate me for saying this but I wish I hadn't gotten early decision admission...

Now I basically have to pay $500 to U of M no matter what I decide on, cuz you don't hear back from Ontario schools until June. I'm leaning towards U of M right now anyways, but if I really wanted to go away this would be a cruel way to get extra cash from the applicants. Its almost like they picked the top applicants early cuz they knew they might have a chance at other schools. Are they doing this on purpose?? or is it just a coincidence of good intentions gone bad?

This is one more expense to this whole process that I'm so sick of, I've dropped like 4 grand on med school and I haven't even started yet :(

Tim

Guest sweetstuff25

i'm sure lotsa people would love to be in your place. spending 500 or not, it's still quite a privilege. i always thought the 500 was a deposit so that if you decide not to go, you can get it back?

Guest jackiedirks

No its supposed to give you peace of mind so that you aren't freaking out into June. And I believe they send them out to the top applicants because their place is assured if they want it- they probably won't have to duke out their place on the list based on that last semester's worth of work.

Look, you're going to be a doctor (or at least a med student) now, so I can let you in on a little secret- med school is all about spending large amounts of money. That's what the loan is for. In the first year I spent $1500 on textbooks, and another $1000 on equipment. You have to suck it up and just do it. You're going to be spending thousands on textbooks, thousands on living expenses (unless you're one of the insane who works during med school) and even more thousands on your flights during your CARMS match- you're just going to be ridiculously in debt. That's how it goes.

Spend the $500. You won't regret it.

Guest j100

Hey Tim23,

If you don't end up going to U of M you lose the money.

How hard have you worked to get where you are today? Pay your $500 if you are interested in Manitoba - I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

There are a large number of people out there who just want to be accepted to Medical School.

:D

Congrats,

J.

Guest blinknoodle

hey tim,

A $500 deposit isn't that much... for Ontario schools it is $1000. Anyhow, if you are only holding out for Toronto MD/PhD, they usually offer admissions way before June 1. Last year, my friends heard in late March and one in early May for the combined program at Toronto.. Definitely call up the MD/PhD program office: they could probably shed some light on the situation (I'm not sure if this year is the same as last year). Good luck and congrats on your acceptance!

Guest tim23

hey blink, I'm interested in the MD/PhD program at U of T, but I didn't apply to the PhD part this year cuz I didn't have enough info about it at the time, so I won't hear anything from U of T until June 1 I believe.

and yes I know $500 isn't that much, its just the principle :)

and for everyone else who's still working on undergrad, wherever I do end up going I'm going to try and be active in pushing schools to change their admissisons policies.

Guest osjx82

In the grand scheme of things, I think the 500 bucks is definitely worth the peace of mind that you have knowing you got at least one acceptance SOMEWHERE. many people would kill to be in your situation. congratulations!

Archived