Premed 101 Forums

Thinvelopes: To Worry or Not to Worry?

Guest MedBound786

Guest MedBound786

Hey all;

It might be a bit too early for this but I was wondering if someone can shed light on whether acceptances can come in thin envelopes. At my Friday night party, the students told us not to worry if we get thinvelopes.

Its funny 'cuz the interview invites were also sent out in thin envelopes :eek

Guest mosquitoba

good question medbound, i was wondering the same thing myself. also just curious if anyone knows if u of m is going to be doing early acceptance this year. i heard some rumblings that they were thinking of not doing it.... not that i am anticipating one of the coveted early letters after my interview *cough cough*, but it would just be nice to know.

thanks!

mosquitoba

I can't comment on early acceptance, but last year in the May/june wave of letters a thick envelope was an acceptance (has a whole bunch of forms/info) and a thin envelope was only one letter, either a rejection or wait list. (I had the rejection, so I'm also playing the waiting game). So a thin letter may not be all bad news. I'd imagine early acceptances are thick letters and if you don't have an early acceptance you just won't get anything in the mail until June.

I had a crazy idea of just opening the letter and reading it, instead of deciphering by thickness :)

Hope this helps and good luck.

Guest premed777

Christie wrote me back saying that IF the admissions committe decides to offer early acceptances this year it will be in early May, and the rest will find out in early June. I'm not sure what the IF means---whether evey year they may or may not offer early acceptances, depending on the competition, etc, or whether this year is different.

hope that helps

Guest Don Corleone

The admissions committee will decide IF early offers are sent out and that will not happen until the Admissions Committee Meeting takes place on April 28th.

I guess we'll have to wait another week to find out :P

DC

Guest mosquitoba

hey all - i had to call u of m for another reason today and asked if they had decided to do early admission. it turns out that they are going to be doing it; they are meeting this week to assess the applications, and the letters will go out next week. whether is good news or bad news, i am not sure! good luck all!

mosquitoba

What are the criteria for early admission? My understanding was that it was just given to the people who ranked at the top 30 or so based on MCAT and Interview marks which already make up 90% of your score. When you say "assess the application" does that imply that there is a more subjective approach and the committee will look through your file again?

I doubt they'd tell you if you called, just for the reason that they'd have 250 other people calling to see where they ended up. But you never know, they may tell you if they aren't really busy and in are in a good mood.

Archived