Premed 101 Forums

Should I Even Apply?

Hi guys, 

I'm in my 4th year (undergrad), and I'm having trouble deciding what my next step should be. My stats are as follows:

GPA:

1st Year - 3.58

2nd Year - 3.75

3rd Year - 3.94

4th Year - most likely 3.8-3.9

For Western, my two highest years that could be used are 85.7% (2nd year), and whatever I end up with this year. 

My DAT scores (2015) are:

RC 21

BIO 19

CHEM 18

PAT 22

TS 19

AA 19

I've obviously past the application deadline, but do you guys think I should perhaps rewrite my DAT and apply for 2018 entry? Would my GPA + a DAT score of 20-22 give me a chance at Canadian Schools? (I'm in Ontario btw)

I have applied to Irish schools for 2017 entry, and I'm also considering Australian schools. US schools are out of the question simply because of the cost.

What do you guys suggest? Should I take a year off, redo the DAT, and apply to Canadian schools? Or should I stick to Irish/Australian schools?

This is a pretty tough decision to make and it's hard to tell you what to do. So I'll just explain to you what I would do in you situation and why. 

Firstly, since you applied to Irish schools, I would focus my efforts on that because if you get in well...I would just take it. (I'm assuming the cost isn't as crazy as American schools. Just a warning though, I believe most Irish Dental programs are 5 years long and the fees are in Euros so...the cost might end up being the same.) Also, if you are accepted and then you decline their offer, I feel you will not get a second chance at the same school if you were to reapply next year.

Now if you were not accepted and really want to get into dental school asap then applying to Australian schools for the 2018 entry would be the next best option. Make sure you have the correct prerequisite courses because a few Australian schools are really specific.

If you want to try for Canadian schools then I wouldn't apply to Australian schools yet. Instead, take the year off, work and volunteer and redo the DAT. I believe your best chance is UWO since your GPA is lower than what other Canadian schools would typically accept.

Hope that helps!

Archived