Premed 101 Forums

SOMEBODY ADD SOMETHING

Guest V

Guys and Gals,

Where are all of you? C'mon, lets keep this site rolling. Add your comments, add your jokes, add your experiences.

So who has had early acceptances thus far?

I can't wait to see y'all in August.

V

Guest missing Manitoba

Hey V,

I noticed that you're an OOP student. Are you definitely going to the U of M? Which province are you from?

(And now, back to the exciting world of bromonium kinetics...)

I'm from ontario.

Manitoba is definately one of my top choices. I'm waiting until June 4th to get my in-province letters, and then I'll make my choice. Until then, I have given my $100.00 deposit, and I am looking forward to U of M meds.

What about yourself Missing? What are your plans?

What have you heard about U of M meds? What about if I wanted to do my residency in Ontario?

Am I at a disadvantage?

Let me know,

V

Guest brandonite

I just sent my cheque in to Manitoba today. :) I guess we won't hear anything back from them now until July.

I noticed that orientation is supposed to take up like an entire week. Does anybody know what goes on during that time?

Oh, and I know of a Manitoba graduate that did his residency in nephrology at Harvard. I don't think that Manitoba hinders you at all when it comes to residency...

Guest Kandace

Thanks for the info Brondonite...that's exciting to know, in light of the fact that U of M has just recently been ranked at the very bottom of McLean's biased report. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I do believe it's probably the most under-rated med school in the country...but then I don't have any ideas how residency directors view the rankings.

I'm just making sure but..was that a rare occasion or U of M grads do get in competitive residencies in a consistent manner?

Guest brandonite

I can't really say if that is common or if that is a rarity... I think the school has a good reputation, but it is really hard to tell. This guy I know graduated maybe 5 years ago, so it is recent. I know of a doctor I have seen before did his residency at NYU, which would be one of the top 20 programs in the US, and in dermatology nonetheless...

I think that within the medical community, Manitoba is considered a pretty good school. The average person probably thinks a fair bit less of it because of the Macleans rankings, but remember, those are for the school as a whole, and the medical school just gets swamped by the tens of thousands of undergrads... I don't place too much stock in the Macleans survey. I think the Gourman rankings (just for med schools) had Manitoba fifth or sixth in the country, or something like that. But those are five or six years old, and nobody seems to know how they are created.

I have a meeting with the assistant dean in a few weeks, and this is something I wouldn't mind talking to him about.

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi again, V.

I've sent in my money and am looking forward to August 19th -- and not just because I'm getting out of my research position a week early. :) I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools (none of which are likely to accept me :rolleyes ), but I really loved the U of M.

In terms of residency, have you checked out the CaRMS/residency forum? There's a link to the CaRMS stats, which give a pile of info about match rates and other statistics for the various schools. It appears that a number of U of M grads end up at U of A, but I didn't really notice how many end up in Ontario.

Have you applied for the student apartments?

Hey Brandonite,

Aside from the inaugural ceremony, which, based on my surfing of the U of M site, is probably followed by pictures for the class composite, I'm not sure of the exact breakdown of O-week. The site also said something about introducing us to the school and allowing us to attend some of the B.Sc. Med. presentations. A certain member of the 1st year class whom we both know mentioned beer when I was in Wpg for the interview -- I suspect it might be involved in evening activities.

Guest jade

what exactly is the ranking of canadian medical schools according to Gourman ? i cant find a website that would show it to me, and i'm too cheap to buy the manual (or magazine if there is one).

thanx

Guest brandonite

I don't have a copy of the Gourman rankings around... Manitoba ranked sixth in Canada in terms of english language med schools, behind McGill, Toronto, UBC, Queens, and McMaster. I don't know the exact order. That would place them ahead of UWO and Ottawa in Ontario, both the Alberta schools, USask, and both Dal and Memorial. So, 6th out of 12. I am just getting this from another post on another board.

But again... They have always been sorta described as a bunch of garbage by everyone. These are as of 1999... And there is no methodology described, so who knows how they are made up... And I do know that Manitoba grads have a good rep on the wards... I personally know of two that went on to do their residencies in Toronto.

I wish we could get ahold of a match list just to get a better idea, though... Personally, I wouldn't have a problem choosing Manitoba over any school in Canada.

And missing - I have heard there is a lot of partying going on during orientation week, too. :) I guess we will find out in a bit, right?

Archived