Premed 101 Forums

Hi Manitobians

Guest Chantel

Guest Chantel

A Question for all those out west at Manitoba. I have been looking into schools out west and I have even visited a few in the past couple of years. I really like what I saw and in particular I was impressed with Manitoba's medical program. I'm from Ontario and from talking with friends in med schools in Ontario (ie UofT, Queens) I think the environment is not for me, my friend told me the 2nd year med class at Queens are so immature that apparently none of them are talking to each other. I would love to go to Manitoba but as an OOP can anybody comment on my chances. GPA 4.0 Human Biology / Genetics , 3 published abstracts and 1 full pub in Journal of human genetics. volunteer hospital 4 years through high school and leader of 3 organizations on campus, swimming team, varsity women's hockey

I know im pretty standard like the average applicant but do you think that Manitoba would give me glance. Thanks alot

Chantel

Guest brandonite

Haha! Of course you'd have a chance! You sound like the exact kind of OOP applicant they're trying to attract! I'm sure they would love to have you!

OOP applications are competitive, yes. There are only 7 spots. But I think the end up accepting close to 20 people to fill those 7 spots. So, it's not exactly impossible!

The one big thing will be your MCAT scores. Manitoba places 50% of your final admissions score on the MCAT, so everything you have done so far is only half of the final score that will decide if you get in. Have you written the MCAT yet? Are you writing in April/August?

It looks like I will be deferring at least one year to do PhD work (I want to do an MD/PhD), so perhaps we will be classmates! LOL

Oh, and in my opinion, Manitoba is one of the top schools in Canada. The research is amazing - the virology lab is down the street, the NRC has a lab a few blocks away, and there are tons of resources. And best of all, the students are amazing! By far the friendliest I've met! I would choose Manitoba over any school in Canada!

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi Chantel,

I interviewed at the U of M at the beginning of the month. It's definitely a great school, particularly in terms of the student population!

As Brandonite mentioned, a big chunk of your admissions score at the U of M is based on your MCATs. Realistically, you need an MCAT average above 10.5 to be competitive (i.e. receive an interview) as an OOP student. (This includes your WS score with J=4 and T=14.) The stats for last year's class are available on the U of M website.

As far as the other components, only 10% of your final score is based on the AGPA, which is calculated on a 4.5 scale, with a certain number of your lowest marks being deleted, depending on the number of credits you've completed. The other 40% is the Personal Assessment Score, which consists of an autobiographical sketch, references, and an interview. The U of M is not necessarily looking for superstars; rather, they're looking for caring, well-rounded people with integrity (+ other positive traits).

As long as your MCAT scores are up to par, you have a great chance! I suspect one of the things the U of M looks for in OOP applicants is a genuine interest in attending the school, which you seem to have in spades. :)

p.s. Winnipeg isn't so much "out west" as "in the middle of the Canada". ;)

Archived