Premed 101 Forums

did anyone else...

Guest brandonite

Guest brandonite

Get a calender and registration guide from the U of M? I got one in the mail last week, with no explanation as to why they were sending this to me. I am just curious if the med school sent it out to all of the early acceptees... Are we supposed to do anything with the registration guide? I don't think we can register until we have a student number...

Guest brandonite

No, it was just a Undergraduate Calender and a Registration Guide, which seemed to be geared towards undergrads as well. There was maybe a 10 page part of the Undergrad Calender on medicine. It just came on Friday, so maybe it will take a while to filter out.

I am thinking it must be from the med school, because the med school keeps on sending letters to the wrong address, and this calender was sent to that same wrong address. I am just not sure what to do with it...

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Brandonite,

Just trying out my new user name. (Come August, the old one will not make a whole lot of sense. :rolleyes )

I received the undergrad calendar/registration package today -- and, like you, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. :\

-ManitobaMed aka missing Manitoba

Guest brandonite

Well, you could go to "missing rural Manitoba" or "missing western Manitoba". :)

And I'm glad that you got one too. Any ideas? I don't think we are supposed to register or anything. I read the four or five pages they have in their on medicine. Maybe that is what we were supposed to do??? But I think I need a student number before I can do too much more...

Guest ManitobaMed

Well, I hope reading that section is all we're supposed to do because that's all I'm doing. The registration guide doesn't appear to have anything meds-related.

Guest brandonite

OK, well, I'll do the same thing. I looked through the registration guide for 10 minutes or so, and I couldn't find anything remotely related to the med school. Go figure. They can't kick us all out, can they? :)

Guest missing Manitoba

If I recall correctly, the original admission letter stated that an information/registration package would be sent out in July. I hope they don't kick us out -- I'm already paying for an apartment. :eek

Guest brandonite

Oh, you found a place to stay? That's great! In the med appartments?

And yes, the letter did say they would send us out a package in July. Perhaps this is just a mistake. Maybe the University sends out this package to all the students they consider to be undergraduate students? And because we are medical undergraduate students... I dunno. Just a thought...

Guest ManitobaMed

Yup, I have a place in the student apartments; unfortunately, to get that place, I had to take a June rental. So, I'm now paying for TWO apartments until the end of the summer. :eek

The package we received might just be for the calendar. Maybe the calendar only comes packaged with the registration guide?

Guest brandonite

We should've talked - I am living in Winnipeg from now until the end of the summer working at the NRC... Anyway. You might be right. Either way, I guess we're in agreement that we don't need to do anything with it. ;)

Guest missing Manitoba

Brandonite,

Is it just me, or are we back to being the only folks on the Manitoba boards? :\

Everyone else,

Are there any other peeps still around who are heading for the U of M this fall? If so, have you found a use for the undergrad registration guide???

Guest U of M undergrad student

I think the med school has its own registration procedure, especially for M1s. I would just ignore the undergraduate guide if I were you. Go through it briefly though if you have never enrolled here.

Guest missing Manitoba

What's that??? I'm leaving my job on the 16th and hopefully flying back to MB on the 17th. This will allow me to move into my apartment on the 18th and begin orientation on the 19th. I haven't yet figured out how moving OUT of my Ontario apartment fits in with that schedule. :rolleyes

U of M student,

Thanks for the advice. :)

Guest brandonite

If it helps, I am told that the orientation week is usually pretty light. Not a lot of activities - quite a few half days and the such. So, you will have a bit of time that week to get settled. :)

And I'm not too concerned about the registration, because I am 99% sure I will defer. I will leave that to you to figure out. ;)

Guest ManitobaMed

Ugh! Brandonite, don't make me figure out registration on my own -- I'll probably end up inadvertently giving up my spot! :eek j/k...I hope...

It does look like I'll have some free time during O-week. Because I have a check-up at HSC the same day as the inaugural exercises/composite photos, I had to check the schedule for that day (Aug 21st); according to the UGME folk, the exercises run from ~10:30am to 12:30pm, with the rest of the day being left free.

I hope some other peeps start posting again soon. With two user names going, I might just start talking to myself. 8o

-ManitobaMed/missing Manitoba

Guest U of M Undergrad

Hello Brandonite and Missing Manitoba,

Congrats on your acceptance...I'm still anxiously waiting for my letter :( I'm hoping that I will have enough time to do my apartment shopping..that's if I get accepted on time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

P.s. I knew that those apartment close to the HSC are sh**y. Have you guys heard about that too? But the rents are extremely cheap...

Guest missing Manitoba

Hey U of M undergrad,

Has the U of M still not sent out all the letters yet? Best of luck to you. :)

As for the HSC apartments, I'm going with one. A soon-to-be second year I know is currently renting one, so I had the opportunity to see it. Compared to a lot of the places I've seen here in Kingston, the meds apartments are really not that bad. And, of course, the rent is excellent. Besides, if my apartment displeases me, I'll just start sleeping at my grandmother's house. :)

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Curious,

I'm not sure what the deadline is for the latest round of offers, but those of us with early acceptances were given just over two weeks to send in our deposits and letters to accept our spots in the class. The letters were sent out near the end of April, and we had until May 15th to reply. I would guess that the timing for this round is similar, but I'm not sure.

-ManitobaMed/missing Manitoba

Guest brandonite

I hope you get your letter soon, U of M undergrad. If you really want to know, you might be able to call Charles Paragg or someone in S204 and they might be able to tell you...

And missing, did you get a single at the med appartments? Or did you get stuck with a double?

Archived