Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba Incentives

Guest sazzafrazz

Guest sazzafrazz

U of M has some new programs.

The U of M is now offering third and fourth year students a salary during clerkship. The salary is $15,000/Year. There's a catch though. If you take the salary in your third year then the province expects 1 year of rural (non-Winnipeg, non-Brandon) service. If you take the salary in your fourth year then you owe one year of service in Manitoba, anywhere. So if you take the salary in both years you would owe two years. The years of service are after you finish your residency, regardless of where the residency is done. If you choose to not fulfill your end of the bargain with the years of service in Manitoba then you owe the province the money they paid you (with fair interest) immediately.

Some good news if your wanting to stay in Manitoba anyway.

Interestingly, $30,000 covers the cost of 4 years in Med school in Manitoba.

Something to consider...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sazzafrazz

In addition, you can also receive grants of $20.000 per year during your residency in exchange for equal years of service in Manitoba. This is over and above your residency salary. (@ $30.000)

I forgot to mention above that the program in third year is limited in the number of students that get it. I think it's 9 students which is still high because I don't think that there are a lot of people considering it.

Guest Ian Wong

Just as an aside, here are the current salaries for each year of residency in Manitoba, and the main page to find salaries in some of the other Canadian provinces:

www.carms.ca/procedure/salaries.htm#manitoba

www.carms.ca/procedure/salaries.htm

I think it's great for med students to have that additional choice to opt out of the year's service if they want to simply repay the loan. Offering financial incentives to med students are a difficult option to make enticing simply because of the very high earning potential after residency anyway.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived