Premed 101 Forums

required GPA

Guest noname

this my first time using this forum....

anyways, i am a U of M student (1st year) and was wondering what kind of GPA is competitve (not the minimum requirements) for med school in Canada, especially U of Manitoba?

It seems like the u of M post isn't used much, but any response would be appreciated...

Guest brandonite

If you go to the UofM site, they'll give you a breakdown of GPA ranges and how many people get accepted in that range.

Generally, the GPA counts for very little at UofM (only 10% of your final score). UofM counts the MCAT pretty heavily (50%).

They also have something called an adjusted GPA. Depending on the number of courses you have taken, they will drop some of your worst grades from your final GPA.

As a rule, you'd need at least an adjusted GPA of 3.6 to get an interview. You would be competitve at that level (given the low weight of the GPA). There are not many people rejected with a GPA above 4.0.

Check out the UofM site: www.umanitoba.ca/facultie.../info.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sazzafrazz

Hi Noname,

If you're still checking, here's a guideline for you. The minimum is of course 3.6 AGPA. You will probably qualify for an interview with this. In just going through this process and asking the very same question I found that a fairly competitive AGPA actually hovers around 3.8 - 3.9. As brandonite mentioned it is only worth 10%. There are people in our class this year with 3.6 (and I've heard rumors of a couple lower - obviously these were stellar applicants in other areas)

Archived