Premed 101 Forums

Advice: Gap Year Or A Master Degree?

Hi everyone,

I am a 4th year undergraduate student, graduating this June. I have applied to dental schools this year, but unfortunately, I did not get in. I am planning to apply again next year.

I am not sure what I should do in my next year and would appreciate any advice. I have a high GPA (3.95 for my 4 undergraduate years). Will taking a gap year put me at a disadvantage? Should I consider a master degree?

I would greatly appreciate any advice :)

If the GPA is OMSAS, do not do a masters unless you really want to since academically your GPA is more than sufficient.

Gap years will not hurt at all, rather they give you a chance to explore life outside of school and you should enjoy it! Get a job, volunteer, do research, travel, etc.

Not sure if you received interviews but perhaps your DAT was insufficient or more likely you need to work on your interview skills. For the latter, prep early and prep months ahead since you have more time now and should get interviews.

If ECs held you back, reflect on how to present them better and get people to help you or get more involved this year since the app is not due for a while.

Apply to American schools as a backup should you feel like you want to.

Good luck!

Thanks very for your response Steins :)

I actually got interviews but did not get in. So yes I think I should work on my interview skills.

I already have varied ECs from undergrad so do you think it will be sufficient to continue my volunteering, shadowing and maybe get a research volunteer work since the deadline for most research work positions has already passed.

Thanks again :)

Thanks very much for your advice and help !!

I have the same situation as you! I am graduating this June, have good stats, but got rejected from UofT after my interview! I guess what we should do is to focus on our interview skills and get as much life experiences as we can. Hopefully we will both be able to get in our dream schools next year. Good luck!

I have the same situation as you! I am graduating this June, have good stats, but got rejected from UofT after my interview! I guess what we should do is to focus on our interview skills and get as much life experiences as we can. Hopefully we will both be able to get in our dream schools next year. Good luck!

I was in the same situation. In my gap year i wrote the dat because schools take your best score so i thought id just study and kill the dat. Then once i wrote the dat, i started reading interview books and formulating a strategy that i thought worked best. Once time got closer, i just did like 10 questions/day. I also worked in my gap year full time. Best of luck!

Archived