Premed 101 Forums

which life/health science undergrad prog to choose?

Guest Dockrh

Guest Dockrh

I have read in previous posts that the Queens Life Sciences program is very competetive and is filled with many pre med junkies. Are UWO and Mac's Health Science program the same. Would it be more beneficial to go into a science program? I know many people say, "pick what interests you", but I don't want to put up with people's @#%$ and immature behaviour. Has anybody in the health science program been forced to cope with this competetive behaviour. Those people within these programs have also said that it is very difficult to obtain a high mark. Is this true? Do profs compare your work to other people's (that could be better) and than assign a grade? Being that Mac's health science program is very popular, should I have to worry about this?

your thoughts/concerns/advice will be appreciated!!!

dockrh:D

Guest satsumargirl

Hey there,

I did bio-med at Guelph and most of the class seemed to be aiming for vets and meds and the odd person wanted dentistry. There were super competitive people and more laid back people. But you pick your own friends and who you want to be with and have as your support over the years. So if you don`t want to be with the super competitive keeners then don`t. It's that simple.

If you pick a program you are intersted in it will be easier for you to achieve higher marks since you will be interested in what you are doing.

The best advice anyone can give you is to study something that interests you. As long as you are doing something you enjoy, you will find a place in this world! (even if it turns out to not be medical school)

Good luck

Sats

Guest discopharma

I don't know about other universities, but you're right that about 90% of the people in LifeSci at Queen's want to go to med school (though barely any will admit it), and the cut throat environment gets even worse when they weed people out year after year. It's *not* however true that this will impact your marks a lot. From my experience, Queen's profs are a lot of talk but no action -- they try and scare the living @#%$ out of you by convincing you that you're going to fail, or that they're going to make the exam really hard, etc., but the class averages tend to end up being pretty high, anyway. They're not really allowed to curve 'down', so they might start marking a little harder, but not usually enough to make a real difference.

If you don't want to be surrounded by gunner type people, I'm just going to say -- get over it. You're going to have to learn to deal with these kinds of people for the rest of your life if you plan on going the med school and/or research route. Better to get used to it and learn how to handle them now, than to get the shock of your life later on.

Other than that, don't fall into the trap of comparing your study habits/dedication/med school prep to theirs -- I've often found that the people who work 24/7 and kill themselves for marks and academic opportunities are the people that you need to worry about least.

Archived