Premed 101 Forums

cut-offs and the essay

Guest GI Jenie

Guest GI Jenie

hey guys,

just wondering if mac looks at your entire package including the 15 mini-essays when they evaluate whether or not you get an interview, or whether they only look at the essays if you meet a cut-off based on the applicant pool.

i'm still waiting to hear. i applied to ubc also but i haven't heard anything from them either so i have really, really high hopes for mcmaster.

can't take the waiting much longer. :o

bc-baby

Hi GI Jenie,

This has surely been addressed in earlier threads, but to spare you having to go through everything, your answer is a resounding yes. In fact, your 15 questions are the biggest deciding factor regarding whether you get an interview or not, since GPA counts for 50% of your 'score' (but the cutoff is 3 so everyone will have between 3 and 4) and the essays count for the other 50% (but scores could range from 0 to 4).

Just to further explain, your essay was read by 3 people (one dr., one med student, and one comm. member) and each gave a score out of 7, and that total score of 21 was eventually reduced to a score out of 4.

Your autobiographical sketch, however, is only used at the interview and your references, from what I understand, may only be used as a final deciding factor near the end of the application process.

Hope that clears things up. :)

And more importantly, I hope that your hopes are met in a week or two. ;)

Cheers,

Tirisa

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey,

they certainly do look at your essay (15 questions). Your essay accounts for 50% and your marks account for 50%. This score commensurate is used to determine whether you are granted an interview or not.

~JZ

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Tirisa,

looks like you beat me to the punch, and much more comprehensively at that :)

I hope you have good luck in the next week or so as well.

~JZ

Guest Tanya24

This question pertains to the score out of "7" given to the auto sub. by each marker. I might be obsessing, but are scores expressed in decimal points (ie. 6.5, 6.75), or are only whole numbers used (ie. 5, 6, 7)? Does anyone know? Thanks and good luck next week to all those waiting!!

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Tanya,

We used whole numbers (that is, 5, 6,7) when marking the essays, not decimals. These were the numbers that were handed in to the admissions people.

Archived