Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Free Tuition

So I'm somewhat concerned that no one really mentions this. I've been living under a rock and only recently heard about this! If I (as an independent student) make below 50K then I can get free tuition? Is this only for undergrad or graduate ( PT school) as well?

Pretty sure for any post-secondary student... it's not "free" exactly... it's just if you're low income you get massive grants. So it's "free average tuition. For example I went to the osap website and input (in their calculator) that I am low income (20000 per year or less) and single and won't be living with relatives while in school. The calculator said I would get 15000 in assistance and 8000 of it would be a grant.

With the new 2017 osap changes graduate students are now eligible for osap and I believe the maximum amount of free money, or "grants" is somewhere around $13000. From what I gained from researching the new osap, if you have been out of high school for longer than 4 years (which you must be for PT or OT?) and you make less than 30k you should be able to get free tuition, as long as you actually need financial help. EX. If your estimated financial needs are say 30k for the year and you have 30k saved (or as an asset), youll get $0 from osap, but if you only have 15k saved up, you would need another 15k and thus be eligible for free tuition. Hope that helps, PTtoBe! It is pretty much a summary of what ive been able to gather from osaps website/ articles/ phone calls haha. I also was told by a lot of people that nothing is garunteed as everyone is looked at individually so dont take it for granted that youre getting it "free" until you fill out the application and get your response back! 

With the new 2017 osap changes graduate students are now eligible for osap and I believe the maximum amount of free money, or "grants" is somewhere around $13000. From what I gained from researching the new osap, if you have been out of high school for longer than 4 years (which you must be for PT or OT?) and you make less than 30k you should be able to get free tuition, as long as you actually need financial help. EX. If your estimated financial needs are say 30k for the year and you have 30k saved (or as an asset), youll get $0 from osap, but if you only have 15k saved up, you would need another 15k and thus be eligible for free tuition. Hope that helps, PTtoBe! It is pretty much a summary of what ive been able to gather from osaps website/ articles/ phone calls haha. I also was told by a lot of people that nothing is garunteed as everyone is looked at individually so dont take it for granted that youre getting it "free" until you fill out the application and get your response back!

It really does help HopefulPT95! Thank you.

Archived