Premed 101 Forums

What now?

Guest cait

I was hoping that someone at McMaster could give me some advice...

I've finally finished my application! But now I'm trying to figure out what I should do next year if I don't get in this time. I come from a background with virtually no science. (Education and Psychology) Should I get some more science experience? In what way? Would working be a bad idea, would I be questioned for not taking more science? Help!

Thanks, everyone here is SO helpful!

cait

Guest Ian Wong

Work, travel, volunteer, research... I'm assuming from your background that you didn't write the MCAT. That may be something to investigate to open up the number of med schools you can apply to, but is going to be really tough to study for if you didn't get the university science background from your coursework.

Ultimately, if you are re-applying, you want to beef up the areas that your application was deficient in. I don't think you'll really know that until later on this year or most likely next year. If all the other parts of your application are strong and well-rounded, then perhaps more science courses would be a good idea. However, I'd stay away from them personally, and look towards other areas of your application. If you have a really strong GPA, chances are good that you have the mental skills and discipline to get a handle on med school material, which for the most part isn't conceptually hard.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived