Premed 101 Forums

Mature Student ... when is it too late?

Guest Cristina

Guest Cristina

I would appreciate some advice from others out there. I am 42 yrs old. Completed my Hon BSc at UofT approximately 20 years ago, then went on to take my MBA at McMaster. I did not have an incredible GPA in undergrad but I did do very well in my MBA. After being in the workforce for 17 years I feel I really want to follow my heart and apply to med school. I have a wealth of work and business experience, published articles, worked in genetics labs, am raising two children etc but when I spoke to the admissions dept at McMaster it sounded as though my GPA would rule everything. They wouldn't even really look at my individual grad work, rather they would apply the 'median' mark of all grad students in Ontario and give it a one year weighting.

Am I wasting my time? (please say no ! ) ....are there any suggestions as to what I might do to increase my chances of acceptance or someone I should speak to.

Since I live in Hamilton and have kids, I am only considering applying to McMaster. I am highly motivated but recognize that given my age I have to start NOW!! In honesty, is there much consideration given to 'special circumstances' ie work experience etc or does it really all start and end with a GPA that I had 20 years ago?? Any suggestions would be appreciated ! What can I do to help my situation if anything?

Guest AndyStew

You should definitely apply. As long as you have the minimum GPA average required by MAC, then full speed ahead. Go For it!!! As I've stated before... you're written application has to be stellar!!!

good luck

I'm with Andy! As long as you have a GPA above 3.0 you should apply. Mac does indeed look at you life experiences. Make sure though that you written submission is written in such a way that it stands out from the rest - it must grab someone's attention.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest tskinner44

Count me in with the pack as well...I have applied after finally working through my B.A. (I also wrote the MCAT and have applied at a few of the traditional schools.) I'm a 45-yr single mom, working two jobs, and upgrading my missing OAC's at the same time in case plan A fails and I need to get my B.Sc. I have asked the Chair of Admissions if age is a factor in their decisions, and he stated that it was not, save to the extent that they get so few older applicants. So chin up, and go for it!

• 4 weeks later...

If you look on the statistics on the Mac website you will see that last year or the year before one of their new students was older than 50. So you are not to old by far. I am a mature student and mother as well. I started my BSc at 29, finished it in 3 years and am know playing the waiting game.

Archived