Premed 101 Forums

Out of my league?

Guest izzo

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if any 3rd year students got an interview. I'm reading all these posts and it seems that everyone's either got a masters, or has been working for a number of years. Perhaps it's just that 3rd/4th years don't post on this board.

I'm just a poor 3rd year with an interview in April. Am I out of my league or what?

Also, if (by some random chance) I get accepted, will I be an odd one out in the class?

Guest Liana

I've heard that Mac tends to prefer people with "life experience"; the sort of unusual resumes that most 3rd year applicants just haven't yet obtained.

I think the fact that you were selected for an interview attests to the fact that you are totally within your league. Those chosen few (what is it, 1 out of 7?) are clearly encompassing those traits that Mac wades through piles of applicants to seek, and unless you prove to have horrible spoken verbal ability, I think it's safe to say that you would make just as good of a Mac student as anyone else who has reached this stage. Whether or not you make from this point is much more highly based on luck.

However, if you are accepted to Mac, I wouldn't worry about the age thing. It's just another characteristic of you that makes you unique. I know of a few people who in previous years had been admitted out of third year, and I'm sure there will probably be a handful in the class, but your age certainly isn't a liability. You should treat it as one of the great attributes of your own character, that you have achieved so much at such a young age, not a disadvantage.

Guest gucio93

Hi Izzo!

You would definitely not be out of your leage having been accepted to Mac out of 3rd year. There are a good number of people in my class straight out of 3rd year and that has never been a disadvantage as far as I can tell. It's precisely the mix of people with all kinds of different experiences that makes MacMeds so much fun. Good luck in your interview, and don't give your "3rd year status" a second thought, be yourself and concentrate on "selling" your best attributes. Cheers :)

Guest gremBlin

Hi,

I'm a third year student with an interview at McMaster. Its reassuring to see that there are a few of us!

A question for those familiar with admission/interview stats: does the typical ratio of M:F (25%:75%) usually observed in the interview pool?

GremBlin

Guest gucio93

Unfortunately it's hard for me to comment on that, because I would have to have been present for all four days of interviews. I can comment on the fact that a similar ratio holds for the general applicant pool before interviews. Hope this helps and maybe someone else has more insight for you :)

Archived