Premed 101 Forums

what? when? who?

Guest Josiane Nawar

Guest Josiane Nawar

Hey guys

i just got into Ottawa U, woooohooooo!!!!! I haven't received anything from Mac yet, but don't despair guys, as someone already mentioned, the waiting list moves fast. The people who apply to Mac are the same ppl who apply to Ottawa and Queens etc, don't forget... Lots of ppl are turning mac down

anyway enjoy the great weather! (about time...)

Guest Terry

The waiting list doesn't move as fast as you think. I hate to not be hunky dorey but many applicants who are accepted to Mac did not and could not apply anywhere else ie no science courses, no MCAT, low low GPA ie 3.0-3.6.

So dont hold your breath for Mac its my experience things dont move that swiftly. Trust me I've been on the waitlist 3 years in a row and didn't get in.

On an encouraging note. Not everyone has received their acceptance letters, they were put out on the 29th AND 30th, so if your in the second batch (sent out on the 30th) expect it Monday or Tuesday, after that who knows!

Guest Lawgirl79

Hi Terry,

I'm a bit curious as to how you were on the waitlist last year but didn't get in. I thought that last year they went through the entire wait list and even ended up taking rejected applicants when they received the extra spots? I myself know 2 people who got in that way...maybe you could clarify how you were on the waitlist but didn't get in. I'm not trying to be adversarial here, I really am interested. Hopefully you will get better news tomorrow and be rewarded for your patience!

PS: 3.6 isn't exactly a "low, low" GPA, considering Queens and Western have cut offs in the same area!

Anyways, good luck everyone! I hope happy news awaits you all in the mailbox tomorrow. :)

Guest Terry

I was waitlisted 3 years in a row BUT I did not say I applied last year, as I did not because I didn't think that my application changed much from the year previous to that, but I dont know why I should be explaining this to you.

So yes I was waitlisted 3 years in a row, but i did not say last year was one of the years, and yes you are being adversarial.

I was just giving a range 3.0-3.6, for the two schools that most Mac applicants likely applied to. The two that dont require the MCAT Ottawa (that looks for 3.7+) and Mac. Upon closer inspection, Mac's GPA has most people falling above 3.68 if you take out the low outliers around the 3.0 area, which belong to a minority of people who are exceptionally accomplished in other areas. So in this context 3.6 is low, why is your GPA around there, probably eh?

Guest Lawgirl79

Whoa--sorry!!!"Three years in a row" simply implied to me that you had applied these past four years. I think most people would have made that leap, so I'm sorry if I offended you. I really WAS just wondering if maybe there was some sort of catch to the whole thing last year, i.e. were certain people overlooked on the wait list. It had nothing to do you with you personally, I don't even know you. Actually, I do admire your persistence, and even though you freaked out at me I think that anyone who has been made to suffer through 3 waitlists deserves a spot. So, best of luck.

Oh--and my GPA from my BSc was around a 3.8, and I got a scholarship to law school...I am only contemplating applying to Med school. I check these boards for info re the pros/cons/logistics of this decision, and also, I will admit, because I am following the sagas of the people who post here regularly (Melissa, etc), who I am really pulling for. I guess this very addictive forum has become something of a soap opera for me. I should really get a life! :)

Guest Terry

Hey Lawgirl, I'm really sorry I thought you thought I was lying or something. Actually my nerves are just shot from all these waitlists and now this one. Sorry about that please dont sue me :) I'm not in the right state of mind

UWOMEDICINE2005 I have posted here before as Terry L. My last initial and with my middle name Tony. My name is Terrance Anthony L., or Terry Tony L, either way I hate my name. Oh yeah I also posted a couple of times as Tony the Tiger, that's about it, I'm not that creative. What does it matter anyways? I've never posted anything rotten I'm just a little nervy right now (Sorry Lawgirl)

Anyways if that's all officer I'll be on my way now.

Maybe I should start posting as Permawaitlist from now on. Hey thats catchy!

Guest curious

hi Terry,

say one day you're looking after patients and you're also experiencing other stresses in your life - is this the kind of attitude you plan on bringing to your patients? instead of passing off your hostile remarks to lawgirl as "caused" by stress, why not step up to the plate and take responsibility for your hostile, antagonistic and rude remarks? i was under the impression that stress and adversity are inherent to life and it's how we handle the ups and downs that really demonstrates who we are. so you half apologized to lawgirl - you're sorry but it's not really your fault b/c you're stressed and then you launch another bullet at the moderator. what's up with that?

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry Terry. . . apologies for jumping on you. It's just something seemed fishy when you jumped on Lawgirl79 for being adversarial. I've seen other people quite obviously making bogus posts here accuse people who questioned their info of being adversarial. And I guess I've gotten sick of people abusing the anyonymity of this site to try and either sway people's decisions on medical schools in their favour, or toy with people's emotions at a time like this.

BTW - I still think you were a little harsh on Lawgirl79.

JJ "Chief Piggum" Rader :) aka UWOMED2005

Archived