Premed 101 Forums

First Year Course in Second Year?

Guest dudde

Guest dudde

In the summer of first year, I took Organic Chemistry (which is a second year course) at U of T....

In my second year, I took 4 2-level course, and a 1-year philosophy course....

I know Mac says 2 of the 3 years must be above year 1, but for me, I have 5 1-year courses, 5 2-yearcourses, and an extra 1-year course.....

So in essence, Ive taken an extra 1-year course....do you know if this is still allowed?...I cant think of a reason why it shouldnt be :P...P.S. - I took a full course load in each year.

Thnks

Guest cheech10

Last year it wasn't allowed; your philosophy course in 2nd year would have disqualified you. A couple of friends were in the exact same situation this year and were disqualified. To apply in 3rd year, you needed to have no 1st year courses in 2nd year and none in 3rd year. It doesn't matter that you took an extra summer course that was a 2nd year course. But there was some confusion about that rule this year, so you should call admissions to be sure.

i seem to be in the same situation as the original poster, and i received an interview at Mac.

I took organic chem summer after first year (2nd year course).

I took all second year courses second year.

In third year I took a first year philosophy course(half course); with the rest being either second or third year courses.

i also know many people who applied after 3 years, and noone who took organic chem in summer of first year got a disqualification letter (even though they took a first year courses in 2nd and/or 3rd year).

sorry if this is confusing. The point is, the 2nd year organic chem course during summer negates at least one first year course in 2nd/3rd year. at least from my experience. BUT ASK THE SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE !!

Guest cheech10

These applicants applied in their 3rd year? From what I had heard, the situation was as I had described it; for a year to be considered to be above 1st year, you needed all your courses to be above 1st year. I hadn't heard of anyone in your situation with respect to summer courses. Thanks for the info, and good luck with your app.

Guest dudde

Hi!

I just called admissions and they said that you are allowed to take 1 st yr courses in 2nd or 3rd year, AS LONG AS YOU TAKE AN EXTRA COURSE ABOVE YEAR 1 TO COMPENSATE....so, m was right

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DocLi

So you're telling me that if you take a 1st year course in 2nd year that you have to take an EXTRA 2nd year course in order to negate the 1st year course....in order to apply 3rd year to MAC med school?

*shakes head really fast*...whoa...a little mind boggling if you ask me.

Well, I'm a Kin student at MAC and I'm going to be taking all 2nd year courses during 2nd year all except one half course of Chemistry 1AA3. Does that mean the summer after that I would have to take Organic Chem (or any other 2nd year course) to be eligible to apply to MAC for 3rd year?????

If the answer is yes...I should have never taken that Gerontology course during first year. If the answer is no...THANK GOD!

Please help me decipher my slight predicament if someone could...

Guest applicant too

Mac's requirements might be easier to understand if you think about the 2nd and 3rd year courses instead of the 1st year courses. You can have as many 1st year courses as you want - AS LONG AS you have the minimum of 10 full time courses (or 20 x .5) ABOVE 1st year level (ie. = 2nd/3rd/4th year level). When you take them does not matter for MAC. In essence, stop counting your first year courses and worry about how many courses you have that are greater than/equal to 2nd year.

Archived