Premed 101 Forums

Why do/did you want to become a MD?

Guest StephenNoor

Guest StephenNoor

This is a personal question, no doubt about it. So if you do not feel comfortable with sharing, that is perfectly fine.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

Regarding the added attraction of the MD degree, here's an example. A little while ago I was invited to a hospital-based soiree for the surgery department. This dinner was buffet-style, no tables, with a DJ (so dancing was expected). A bunch of us (some med students and the senior residents) could show up only for a half an hour or so (in our scrubs) as we were still on service. However, it was pretty interesting to observe the large numbers of women present at the event--some of whom were not associated with the surgery dept.--dressed up pretty, err, alluringly, eyeing the guys in scrubs. It made me wonder a bit.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest VS12

yeah i never believed that saying you're a doctor (or a med student) actually worked... but i know a guy who picks girls up at the bar by telling them he's in med school. he's the furthest thing from it though, and he's not even good-looking, yet it seems to work. pretty funny stuff.

Guest daryn

...but we have been assuming that the people in med are guys, and chicks go for them because they sound that much hotter.

But what about the women in med? Somehow (sadly), I don't think it's necessarily that much more alluring. (not that it matters that much but just for argument's sake)

Guest noncestvrai

I'll let you in a little secret, you just have to plug somehow that you're a doctor, or medstudent, some don't really know the difference, and that you're saving lives of sick little kids...

My peds rotation is coming in a couple of months;) For once, I'll be only slightly bending the truth.:hat

Ok, really, truth be told, if I were a woman, why would I want a doctor/medstudent that does not have enough time to spend with me, and this is especially true for "needy" women...I've recently paid the price of my med school education...

Ah well, even good intentions don't do much...

noncestvrai

Guest treehuggingbiologist

Ego? As the wise man Homer Simpson once said (not quoted exactly) "When it comes to compliments, women are ravenous blood-sucking monsters always want’n more… more… MORE! And if you give it to them, you’ll get plenty back in return." I suppose having a bf who is smart and noble and all the other things a med student (supposedly) is a helluva ego trip. Not saying that all women are like that, but there are a bunch who'd be more than happy for that.

Archived