Premed 101 Forums

Spare time

Guest MDin2006

Guest MDin2006

I was just wondering what everyone who is currently at McMaster thinks about the bars/clubs on campus. Does the average med student have enough time to go out on weekends? Where do med students hang out?

Guest Carolyn

There is lots of time to have a life while at any medical school. I think what you do with it really depends on your own interests. There are lots of bars /pubs in Hamilton...

Guest jmh2005

The bars/clubs on campus are (well, were...) good. The Phoenix is a grad students bar, which is great (actually even better now...that terrible smell is gone...), a sit-down type place that serves lots on tap and has very good nachos and wings (I frequented it a great deal as both an undergrad and grad student but I've only been there 2x's since August of last year)! They closed down my old stomping ground "The John" this past year and opened up "Quarters" in the new student centre. I have yet to get there but seeing as I'm a bit older now, I think I would stick out like a sore thumb! Actually some classmates of mine went there last Thursday and apparently they also felt "very old", so I have a feeling it's mainly an undergrad hang out...but an evening is what you make it, so I'm sure that a good time can still be had...They also closed "The Rat" a while back as well...so, as you can see I'm a bit out of the social loop on campus...As for other Hamilton hang outs, you can't beat Hess Village in the summer and early fall, outdoor patios, great food and always a good time!! Slainte is a great Irish pub, a bit smoky, but the music is always good and apparently so is the food!

There is still plenty of time to spend with family and friends and do the things that you enjoy doing. The only thing that is suffering is my TV time, and really, that's not a bad thing!! I still find time to work out, spend quality time with my husband and daschund at home...Just think of med school as a a bit more than a full-time job but with weird and wacky hours...I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing...

Hope that helps!

Archived