Premed 101 Forums

Chances pls (CARS = application killer?)

GPA is very solid, should make it easy to meet TFR with a couple ECs. Getting an interview shouldn't be a problem.  The CARS score might hurt a bit, but you make it up with other stronger MCAT components, as well as what looks to be a high TFR as well. Just focus on doing well on the interview. A good enough interview has gotten people admitted with low GPAs, low overall MCAT scores, etc. You only have one slight hiccup in your application (CARS) and I'm sure adcom is happy to overlook that with a strong interview.

3 hours ago, misterturkey said:

So here are my stats. UBC grad, Vancouver resident (IP).

GPA: 90.000

MCAT: 85th percentile (predicted), BUT a 125 CARS (plateaued smh). Could push up to 90th, but CARS is stagnant.

ECs: I would say above average, maybe slightly above. Typical premed hospital bullshit (5+ years clinic volunteer), 1 year blood clinic,  non-exec club roles, a bit of teaching/tutoring here and there, recreational sports (non-competitive, very short term), 1 year research (1 VERY shitty pub probably not worth mentioning, 1 conference), long term family oriented volunteer (1000+ hours), awards (a lot of money from awards; paid for 1.5x tuition), science related work experience, volunteering in Africa (semi-health related).

Interview skills: I'll probably be sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage so... it won't be stellar (if I get even get one :mellow:). I also have the personality of geriatric potato 

Sorry for the bracket gore lol. Just realized how bad it was. I would say the highlights of my app are my awards (which unfortunately don't matter too much from what I hear), and the lowlight is my CARS score. I should not that 90% of award dough came from UBC, so that may be beneficial.

I would just like to get your opinion of my chances. Please be brutal, no sugar-coating. I think I have a decent chance of meeting the TFR, but I'm scared about post interview rejection.

Merci

Honestly, the fact that you wrote the words "sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage" and thought that was a ok thing to post is a pretty strong indicator that you have bigger problems than just nerves to deal with in an interview.

You will probably get an interview with your GPA and ECs. Don't discount your publication and be sure to include any hobbies like music, hiking, etc. under diversity of experience. 

Figure out what works for you to prep for interviews. You want to figure out how to relax and engage in authentic conversations with the interviewers, while organizing your thoughts in a thoughtful, non-judgemental and logical manner.

39 minutes ago, misterturkey said:

I like to relieve my insecurities with shitty humor. Sorry if I offended any premed gypsies browsing this forum lmao. Obviously interviewers will not take lightly to non-PC comments (specially ones regarding indigenous people - I have been told to be extremely careful when referencing this group during interviews).

Thank you for your input TARS and Tardis :) much appreciated 

Gypsy itself is a fairly derogatory term, I and most people refer to ourselves as ethnic Romani or Roma.

If you feel that you need to be careful about what you say, you might want to take a deeper look at why you might (even unintentionally) say something offensive.

I'm in the same boat as you (512, 125 CARS, OOP though lol) :). Based on the accepted forums, they seem to have admitted a few 8 VR's over the past few years which ends up being a 124 CARS. Even with a good TFR, I imagine we would need a stellar interview. Also the post-interview assessment is deemed to be 'hollistic' so a good mark in the English pre-req may be able to offset a low CARS- don't quote me on that though, they just said on their blog that they look at 'many factors'  post-interview. 

17 hours ago, misterturkey said:

I like to relieve my insecurities with shitty humor. Sorry if I offended any premed gypsies browsing this forum lmao. Obviously interviewers will not take lightly to non-PC comments (specially ones regarding indigenous people - I have been told to be extremely careful when referencing this group during interviews).

Thank you for your input TARS and Tardis :) much appreciated 

16 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Gypsy itself is a fairly derogatory term, I and most people refer to ourselves as ethnic Romani or Roma.

If you feel that you need to be careful about what you say, you might want to take a deeper look at why you might (even unintentionally) say something offensive.

@misterturkey I don't think anyone here's starting an argument, but I think @OwnerOfTheTARDIS is giving you some really solid advice, and I hope you take it more seriously, both for the sake of your interview and your future career as a health care professional.  Tip-toeing around topics like Indigenous people by "being careful when referencing this group" is not going to work in your favor during the interviews.  The interviewers aren't awarding points for how "politically correct" your language is, but they're actively looking for your understanding on these issues as reflected through your dialogue and respectful tone; after all, "this group" will be part of your future patients.  

The importance of this extends beyond admissions and carries on with you through your career. As a health care professional, your therapeutic relationship with your patient is grounded in strong rapport, and that starts with understanding and acknowledgement. Like it was said before, it would benefit you personally and professionally if you start examining why you have to be careful with certain language and educating yourself on these extremely relevant social issues.

Archived