Premed 101 Forums

Question 12...

Guest Ceds

Hey folks,

Just wanted to know how everyone handled question 12:

"Describe the multiple demands in your life, and how you keep them in perspective." It seems that this is a precursor to the time management question. I mentioned the things that I have to do and how I deal with a busy schedule without compromising my performance in each activity. Is this how anyone else approached this one?

Thanks,

Ceds

Guest Tanya24

Hi again Cedrin,

I think that's a good strategy. The message they want (in my humble opinion) is "yes, I have a full, busy life but still manage to keep my head and do well in school, thus will be successful in medical school and my life as a physician." I think your approach is on the $.

While on the subject, I could use some advice about the "significant failure" in your life question. Just how significant does this have to be? I once made a judgement error which taught me a good lesson, but I wouldn't call it a "significant" or life-altering experience. Any opinions? Thanks!

Have you applied to Mac before, Ceds?

Thanks for the advice. Regarding the question about the "significant failure", I don't think it necessarily has to be "life-altering" in the sense that you changed from Julie Andrews in Sound of Music to Madonna in her rebellious stage in the 80s. Having said that, I do think it should be an event that did play a serious part in either making you who you are or your outlook on life/the world/<insert something you can have an outlook on here>. For me, it is an experience that affected the way that I deal with adversity, and adversity faced by those around me. Any other opinions?

This is my first time applying to Mac (and any other school for that matter). Nervous but excited about the process.

Cedrin

Being utterly unaware of what the entire range of questions are this year, I nevertheless offer this...

...if there IS another question about time management, then perhaps they are asking how you keep the important things from getting left behind. How do you lay out your priorities?

What I'm getting at is, throughout first year meds we were told again and again how high the divorce rates, substance abuse rates, and depression rates were amongst physicians, and how dissatisfied physicians' kids were with their family lives. So maybe what they're getting at is how your current life reflects how you're going to live your future life.

Just a thought. :)

Archived