Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Microbio

I took microbio with basso because I needed it in my program. Best bet like above is to ask each individual school to see if it satisfies the prerequisite. I'm not sure how the HSS course is but Basso's course is quite challenging so I suggest that if you are planning to take the course with basso, prepare to work hard because it is on the more difficult side. 

23 hours ago, dentpepe said:

I took microbio with basso because I needed it in my program. Best bet like above is to ask each individual school to see if it satisfies the prerequisite. I'm not sure how the HSS course is but Basso's course is quite challenging so I suggest that if you are planning to take the course with basso, prepare to work hard because it is on the more difficult side. 

Thanks for the replies everyone! If you dont mind me asking how did you study for that class? I have heard tons of people have mixed reviews about Basso's class. 

On 2017-08-31 at 4:22 PM, hopefuldentist22 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone! If you dont mind me asking how did you study for that class? I have heard tons of people have mixed reviews about Basso's class. 

Honestly, it's an application-based course. You have to understand the material super well and be able to apply it so memorization is not enough. Just study in advance and if there's anything you don't understand even the slightest, go see him, his office door is almost always open. Go through old midterms too if he provides them, because if my memory serves right, he doesn't recycle questions for micro but they'll help you get a grasp of the types of questions he asks. Good luck! 

If you find out the HSS one is accepted definitely take it if you're worried about GPA. Basso's class is great and you'll learn a lot, but it's very different from your other biology courses. Theres a ton of material to learn and it feels like studying for an anatomy test, but his exams are super application focussed and I think people don't see that coming and it's hard to think critically about the material for the first time during a midterm. 

Archived