Premed 101 Forums

Queen's PT sub-GPA cutoff

Hey all,

I currently have a 3.71 sub-GPA. This past cycle's cutoff was 3.68; I was waitlisted, but no luck. What do you think the chances are that the 2018 cutoff will be above 3.71?

This is their sub-GPA cutoff from the past 4 years:

3.58 (2014)

3.65 (2015)

3.65 (2016)

3.68 (2017)

I've been trying to contact the Queen's admission department for the past week by phone and email, and I can't seem to get in touch with anyone!! 

I'm debating re-taking an old course this semester to readjust my sGPA a bit, but don't want to spend the time and money if it's pointless.. The course would bump my sub-GPA to 3.74 by finishing with an 80%+. I'd rather spend the time volunteering more, if it's going to benefit me more. 

It's hard to foresee the 2018 GPA cutoff, as it depends on the applicant pool, which I'm sure you're aware of. With that said, if I was in your position, I personally would take the course just to be safe. I think the time and money spent on the course is worth it to make certain that you'll be above the cutoff for the upcoming admission cycle. That's just my $0.02. 

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

On 2017-09-16 at 9:13 PM, PeaTea30 said:

It's hard to foresee the 2018 GPA cutoff, as it depends on the applicant pool, which I'm sure you're aware of. With that said, if I was in your position, I personally would take the course just to be safe. I think the time and money spent on the course is worth it to make certain that you'll be above the cutoff for the upcoming admission cycle. That's just my $0.02. 

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

I've been trying to contact queens PT admission to inquire about their policy on course re-takes. Do you know if there's a limit? They considered 2 courses last year that I have retaken, for the sole purpose of bumping my subGPA for their program (they exclude the old grade and include the new, if the exact course is retaken). I can't get through to anyone to find out.. 

Hm I'm at queens right now for PT and Kathy Grant would be the person to talk to. It's a hectic time of semester as us first years have just started. I would send Kathy a very polite email inquiry and possibly follow up with a phone call as needed. She can likely either answer your questions or direct your queries. 

I would say that bumping your grade is always a good plan although as you know queens is more flexible with their cutoffs than other schools in Ontario. And they do place a lot of emphasis on experience. Good luck! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the sGPA calculation at queens. It says on their website that they run on a 4.3 scale and not a 4.0 scale. Does anyone know if ORPAS takes this into consideration or does ORPAS calculate on a 4.0 scale, like they would for all the other Ontario schools? The reason is, my sGPA is a lot higher when calculated on 4.3 than 4.0 (obviously), so I am trying to figure out how competitive my sGPA will be. Thanks! 

On 2017-10-05 at 3:39 PM, physio2018 said:

I have a question about the sGPA calculation at queens. It says on their website that they run on a 4.3 scale and not a 4.0 scale. Does anyone know if ORPAS takes this into consideration or does ORPAS calculate on a 4.0 scale, like they would for all the other Ontario schools? The reason is, my sGPA is a lot higher when calculated on 4.3 than 4.0 (obviously), so I am trying to figure out how competitive my sGPA will be. Thanks! 

Hey, I just replied in your thread haha. ORPAS will use 4.0 for all schools.

Archived