Premed 101 Forums

Correspondence courses

Guest OrcaDoc

Guest OrcaDoc

Hey,

I am trying to obtain my degree through correspondence from Queen's. I am going to then take the science prerequisites via a letter of permission.

Honestly, do I have a shot at McMaster Medical School? I am intelligent and diligent enough to be getting a GPA range of 3.8-3.9. With the drive to succeed.

Do I have a chance at being considered amongst the other traditional students.

**Opinions of all sorts, appreciated and welcomed**:\ :\

Thanks

Guest gucio93

As long as your courses are part of a legitimate degree from an accredited University, I don't think that distance eduation would make a difference. It may actually add to the richness of your application alongside your other life experiences. I am afraid though, that I don't know what a "letter of permission" is, and I would clarify with McMaster whether they have any objections to this particular part of your application.

Guest Tanya24

Hey guys,

A letter of permission enables you to enrol in a course outside of your home university, yet the grade you receive becomes part of your home university transcript. For example, if you're a full-time student at U of Calgary but want to take a course at UVic, you need a letter of permission from U Calgary (if you want to receive credit for the course from U Calgary). If they grant it, that course will count towards your U Calgary degree/diploma program. I did a course on a letter of permission and McMaster meds didn't question my application. Just make sure OMSAS receives documentation from both your home and correspondence universities. Good luck!

Guest OrcaDoc

Hi Gucio93,

Thank you for responding so quickly. It is such a relief to know that I am still able to pursue my "chosen" field. I say, "chosen" simply because I have people telling me that I should go into medicine. When you hear this sentiment enough times, without disclosing my goals, it's shocking.

Anyhow, a 'letter of permission' is permission from Queen's University that allows me to take courses at another University, such as McMaster, Ryerson, or UofT... to be used towards my degree. For example, I cannot take Biology and Chemistry and do lab work through correspondence.

I have hear that programs, more business and law, actually like correspondence student, because they have to be committed to self-learning to be the best in their fields. I was not sure in regards to medical school.

Thank you again for your input. Your comments about my experience has turned my smile upside-down.

Bye

Guest jmh2005

I totally agree with what's been written. I took 3 full-year courses and 1 half-year course via correspondence (at two different universities) all on a "letter of permission" as well and never had a problem with my application to McMaster Meds. As long as its a university course from an accredited school like Queeen's (not college or technical school) that's all that matters, so best of luck and follow your dream. Work hard and don't let anyone discourage you!

P.S. I think that correspondence courses are a great way to master self-directed learning, and would only be an asset in my opinion!!!

Best of luck,

J

Archived