Premed 101 Forums

how many offers?

Guest nicolekavita

Guest nicolekavita

Hi everyone,

I am wondering - does anyone know how many "true" offers Mac makes a year? It must be a number higher than 138 (given that some people who are given offers choose other schools) :rolleyes

Nicole

Guest MDWannabe

Nicole,

If you mean initial offers, I believe they will only make as many offers as there are places available. I seem to remember that the offers were made on a 2 week rolling basis. After each period, the declined offers were replaced by new offers, open for another 2 weeks. I'm sure the total number of offers changes from year to year, but I would guess that very roughly half of the 384 interviewed will be offered a position.

Last year and the year before, there was a bit of a quirky situation where the last 10-20 positions did not become available until August (in 2001) or July (2002), due to government funded expansion that was late to be finalized, so that may have made the past two years anomalies.

Guest nicolekavita

Thank you for your response MDWannabe:

you said:

"I would guess that very roughly half of the 384 interviewed will be offered a position."

If this is true, these are really good odds if one is granted an interview. This would mean that once granted an interview, one would have {approximately} a 50% chance of getting into the program?

s it really that high?

Nicole

Guest jmh2005

Nicole,

MDWannabe is totally correct, actually the number is usually above 50% of those being interviewed actually are offered a spot. You can't forget that people apply all across the province and some apply all over Canada. There are many people who have multiple offers and they must choose only one obviously. Mac only makes offers to the 138 (should be the same size of class this year as well)...they do not send out more offers than spots on May 31st, in comparison to UofT. This is why the UofT waitlist barely moves because they often send out 240-250 Yes's for only 200 spots. They know that rougly that 25-30% will decline because they are going elsewhere, this holds true for all schools. As stated above, as declines come in, the waitlist opens up in blocks.

So, yes if you get an interview at Mac, the chances of getting in are definately better than 50-50 you will have a place by late August!!

Best of luck,

JMH

Archived