Premed 101 Forums

Deferrals and # of seats

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Pardon the two-fold scope of my question, but I don't want to be a post hog8o :

First, regarding deferrals, I think this topic has been discussed elsewhere but I could not find it. My question is, Under what circumstances are deferrals permitted at Mac? My wife is expecting our next child in May and I feel that I will need that child-bonding and child-rearing time next year IF I have the honour of being offered acceptance. Moreover, I have heard that deferrals are only permitted if one receives unconditional acceptance vs. conditional acceptance (ie. waitlisted). What are my chances/options in this regard? I know I could do it, as I am already a student parent, but it might be too much as a brand new parent all over again to dive into med school. Anyone else seeking a deferral?

Second, are class sizes increasing this year, or is the number still 138?

Good luck all you nervous waiters; enjoy your temporary procrastination!

Guest jmh2005

Macdaddyeh,

I really don't know too much about deferrals, perhaps another moderator can help me out here. However, I do know that they WILL NOT give deferrals to those who are placed on the waitlist, so if you are waitlisted, and your number comes up, you must say Yes or No and that's it. Deferrals are typically given out to those who wish to finish up Master's/PhD's normally, but your reason may also hold some clout, I really can't say. These things are dealt with on a case-by-case basis from what I understand. FYI...there are a several people in our class who either have 2 or 3 kids already and there is one person in my current group who currently have a pregnant spouse...it can be done (maybe not ideal...), especially in 1st year because so much time is spent studying/reading, you can do much of this at home...whereas clerkship is a lot of on-call and time in-hospital.

WRT class size...I haven't heard anything new, so I would guess that 138 is again the magic number...and I believe that 2 deferrals were granted last year and will be starting in fall 2003.

Hope that helps,

J

Guest Biochem10

Hi Macdaddey, I'm not a med student, but my advice is not to worry about deferrals until you actually get the interview. That will probably be the best time to assess the situation and then you could probably ask (after) your interview about deferral policies. Anyway, congratulations and best of luck with the new baby. :D

Archived