Premed 101 Forums

LOR (When are they looked at?)

Guest c4rd14c

Guest c4rd14c

Are the letters of reference verified after deciding to give someone an interview? I recently talked to someone who was one of my LOR and he said that he had not been contacted. I supose that would be a big waste of resources to check references before the interview stage but does anyone know at what point these come into play?? Perhaps paranoia is getting the best of me....

Guest c4rd14c

Just did a search. Not sure if this info is true but I read that the LORs are not really used until the interview process and maybe not at all unless something needs verifying in the autobiographical sketch. It all makes intuitive sense. I would expect the referees to be contacted after the interview but still have no idea if this is reality or not. Er, I guess I'll just wait until next week and see if I get a letter for an interview. My questions may be unneccessary at that point.:| >:

Guest mumfirst

Hi C4rd14c,

At Mac's info session last summer we were told that the references were not brought into play until the final correlation. Interviews are based on GPA and autobiographical submission only. The verifiers that we needed to put in our autobio will be contacted if a particular experience is questionable. Once the interviews are over, the entire files (ie. GPA, autobio, interview results and letters of reference) of all interviewees are looked at to determine who will be accepted/rejected/waitlisted. So, LORs are only used in the final decision and not before interview invitations are sent out. Remember that referees can be/likely are different from the verifiers and are used at different times in the whole process.

Good luck to all!!!

Archived