Premed 101 Forums

Let me know if this is correct...

Guest c4rd14c

Guest c4rd14c

I was doing a little math.

3685 applicants (read that somewhere, correct me if I am wrong)

138 spots....

138/3685 = 0.03744 (3.7%)

Take that 3.7% and multiply it by .25 if you are a guy (taking into account the controversial ratio at Mac)

That gives .936. That means if you are a guy, there is less than a 1% chance that you will get into Mac statistically (GPA and Essays not taken into account).

For all the guys who applied to Mac don't feel badly if you have not received letters inviting you to an interview. BTW, I haven't received a letter yet so this isn't a bitter post. Let me know if I've calculated anything wrong in my attempts to figure out the statistical odds of a male getting accepted at Mac.

Guest macdaddyeh

Whoa. As a male I have also noticed that the program is skewed heavily in favour of accepting females. Without your post becoming controversial, I have heard MANY reasons for this and this has been debated at length in other posts.

In fact I know many male friends who did NOT apply to Mac because they said the learning styles did not suit them. I would lable that self-induced, not Mac-induced, sexism!

Mac's program has a lot of benefits and was once (and likely still is) considered a world-leader for adding a social dimension to medicine.

That all said, I think the chances for ANYONE (male or female) getting in to Mac is very small. For that reason, kudos to those who are considered worthy enough to get an interview and ultimately a position!

Take care and happy waiting all:D

PS..I think that the total number was actually closer to 3800!:eek

Guest mumfirst

I would say that your chances are 3.7% chance of getting in. Being male or female has nothing to do with it. If you have a decent GPA and an outstanding autobiographical submission then you have the exact same chance as every female that has applied.

When it really comes down to it, there doesn't seem a big difference to me between 1 in 100 or 3.7 in 100. The odds are still highly stacked against all applicants. Truly a great thing for all successful applicants (and a lot of luck in who reads your essays and how they interpret your 700 characters/response!!!)

Just think, once you get an interview your chances skyrocket to about 1 in 2 of getting in.

Good luck!

Guest c4rd14c

I was actually wondering if I could get some feedback. Is there something that I am not taking into account in my calculations? Seems a little dissappointing to work out the odds being less than 1 in 100 for acceptance to this school. :(

Guest G8M8T

I think your 0.25 factor for being a male is not completely valid as significantly fewer number of men apply. The more correct estimate would be 40(#of men accepted)/1500(#of men applying)*100%=2.7% - still not very comforting though.

Guest wileycoyote

I would say "incorrect"

"multiply it by .25 if you are a guy (taking into account the controversial ratio at Mac)"

without knowing the number of male/female applicants, you cannot just say that your odds of admission as a male are .25.

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi pal!

Nope, as per mumfirst's response and your own observation, the chances are really as simple as dividing the number of available spaces by the total number of applicants...(on a non-gender basis)...

The male/female issue might take some more detailed statistical analysis, but I would not look at such a thing until AFTER people get an interview or acceptance! Attempting to gauge this before is nearly impossible without knowing how many males or females apply!

Rumour has it (and YES I have heard this) that Mac is attempting to increase the number of males in their program, because they been subject to the scrutiny that you pointed out. This too could be considered discriminatory; maybe an existing student could be of help here in elaborating (even though I heard this originally from a student).

Nonetheless, as I have stated before, may the best candidate gain admission, despite one's:D gender!

The chances are very much against the applicants. However, though the number of spaces compared to applicants is very low, remember that it is not a random process (not completely anyways ;) ). Obviously we have no control over the admission process or how our applications are evaluated but by a lot of reflection, effort and research these "odds" can be improved. That was my philosophy with respect to my autobiographical sketch. It helped me feel better about my chances anyways.

Guest sir charles

u forgot to factor in ontario residency... how many of this years applicants are in province and how many r out of province must be factored into your equation of hopelessness. hang in there. statistics r statistics...

Guest mumfirst

Actually the chances are not really 1 in 100 (or 3.7 in 100) of getting in. Chances are more like 1 in 20 of being accepted. Simple math is 200 acceptances sent out (this is an estimate out of the 400 interviewees, it will take about that many to fill the class) out of roughly 4000 applicants. Take out all of the applications that get thrown out because of not meeting requirements, there is more like 200/3000 which is 1 in 15. After interviews, chances are 1in 2.

Speaking of interviews, where the heck is our mail lady? Bet she's got the postie truck stuck in someone's driveway. :\ Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Guest macdaddyeh

Mumfirst, where are you located? I watched news at noon and Toronto got a major dump of snow in the last 24 hours! The snow could be holding things up. Mind you, my mail lady was earlier than ever!

Guest c4rd14c

G8M8T, these numbers were obviously estimated given the posted values for the past few years. I agree that the chances of getting in should simply be the number accepted divided by the number of applicants.

The point is that your chances of getting in are different than the statistics but in doing my calculations I had to factor in the obvious bias towards the other sex since it does have an effect on the numbers.

I haven't come across statistics for the number of males applying yet. You are correct in stating that this has some relevance. If we are factoring in applicant pool numbers than my numbers would likely change if it is true that significantly less men than women apply to Mac. I didn't see these numbers posted on the Mac website. Anyone know where I can find the applicant pool numbers??

Guest mumfirst

macdaddyeh, I am east of Peterborough - way out in the boonies! Our mail is usually delivered between 9 and 10 in the morning but our roads are pretty bad today. The school buses have all been cancelled - although our roads are plowed, the snow is still falling and with the wind it drifts across the fields. I have been trying to do some tidying and cleaning but won't even put the radio on for fear I might miss the crunching of the snow as the postie truck arrives! Even the dog seems on edge today - she is trying to snooze but keeps lifting her head up as if someone is here - of course that takes me away from my housework to peer out of the window!!!! Hope these jitters are all worth it in the end! :)

Archived