Premed 101 Forums

Helping others in Africa

Guest grandmellon

Guest grandmellon

Hey Everyone, just thought I would give you something to look at while you are waiting for your letters! I'm going on a medical outreach team this summer to Tanzania, Africa. For 9 weeks this summer a group of Medical, Nursing and dental students will be going to africa taking medical supplies and educational material.

http://www.medoutreach.tk

I don't know if you know but 50% of people live in poverty in the main cities in Tanzania (60% in rural areas) and the life expectancy of 50 years. 16.7% of people die from DIARRHOEA! and they have extremely high mortality rates from malaria... anyways...

We are going to be going to 6 village schools with over 6000 children - we want to take enough tooth brushes for them all and are looking for people to donate these, or medications... (For detailed info on what is needed email me japitche@uwo.ca) If you would like to run a drive for tooth-brushes or monies to ship the medical supplies (very expensive) please contact me for more info!

Thanks for reading and GOODLUCK!:)

Guest martyb

Hi grandmellon

I might be able to help. I'm a member of the exec of an honour society that does a lot of volunteer work and fundraising. Our inductions bring in a few hundred people each year, and the ceremony is on March 18th. If I could get some more detailed information, I could suggest to the rest of the exec that we ask the new inductees to bring toothbrushes to the ceremony. I would think that we could get at least a few hundred. I'll send you an email if you'd like.

martyb

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Grandmello - that's a great program. I know a lot of the med students from UWO who went last year. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Archived