Premed 101 Forums

wow - appplication question

Guest MACOMERE

Guest MACOMERE

Wow!

I discovered this site and I am so impressed by what I see.I plan to apply to Mac this fall.

Seeing people get interview invites has me salivating! :D I am so happy for you! Those who didn't - I feel your pain . I have had to deal with my share of disappointments in my life.|I

I hope you don't mind me asking for advice:

Those who received interview invites: particularly those who are are "career switchers" I would love to get some advice.

I have worked in the social service field for a few years now and I dream to get into medicine.

Can you tell me a bit about how you answered the 15 application questions?

Did you have volunteer experience in the medical field?

Did you use a bit of humour in your application - do you think it is appropiate?

Anything would be helpful please.

macomere

Guest macdaddyeh

Macomere:

First, welcome to EZboard and I hope that you have much to share and learn!:)

I'm not a career switcher; in fact, I'm in my last year of my undergrad, but I do have a lot of "life experience" and I think that is what Mac is looking for.

I do NOT want to come across as self-aggrandizing but I'll give you a wee synopsis of myself:

I have overseas volunteer experience, local volunteer experience (mostly non-clinical but not all), 10+ years of employment experience (not in the health field), lots of extracurricular stuff during high school and university, speak 4 languages, late 20's, father of toddler. (This sounds like a dating/ matching service!!!!!!!!!!):P

Nonetheless, I think the bottomline in doing your submission is be creative; gear it towards the Mac style of learning (problem based, self-directed) and don't use the same example too many times....BUT don't tell them about what you think they want to hear (b/c I'm sure it'll come across as fake or forced) rather tell them about yourself plain and simple. Don't hold back in showcasing yourself, your talent and your potential. Show yourself as multi-dimensional, and I think that you can definitely do that as a social services worker, you can think of multiple examples to use in your submission.

As for humour, I did NOT use it, but I'm sure it could work (again be careful; this is a subjective process). Be careful not to inflate any of your experience b/c your submission is subject to being substantiated by verifiers.

Finally, DO spend weeks or months reworking it; I did and I finally got the interview I so desperately wanted.

Best wishes in the future. Just your desire is strong enough to get you started down the road. Good for you!;) Next applicant package is out in July I believe.

This is just my personal precis, but this is not reflective necessarily of other candidates feelings or experiences or backgrounds.

Let's hope that some other people post here!

PS...Unlike other schools (no bashing) Mac will HEAVILY value your age and experience!

Guest MayFlower1

I'll date you macdaddyeh... ;) you sound like a good "catch" :lol

macomere...I think macdaddyeh has brought up great points. I'm 39...second time applying to med school this year. Although I didn't apply to Mac this year or last...I did answer the 15 questions...they were really helpful in preparing for my interview at UofO this year.

The only thing I might add to macdaddyeh's post is...have one or more people read your answers to make sure they come across well...contain no errors, etc. I have found it really helpful to link up with someone from the school(s) you've applied to to have them help out...they may have more insight into what will work and what tends not to work. My experience has been that med students are EXTREMELY helpful and willing to give advice...take advantage of it.

Good luck.

Peter

Archived