Premed 101 Forums

to dannyboy

Guest taos77

Guest taos77

How did you get dual provincial status??? I was under the impression that you had to relinquish one of your residencies for all applications. i.e. I am both a Nova Scotia resident and an Ontario resident but I could only be an Ontario resident and not NS for the east and ON for central. Did you apply out west as a BC resident? What the hell?---did I miss something major???

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Taos77...you're correct.

I actually have both NS and ON residency potential, but had to choose between them when applying to med shcools this year. You are only allowed to claim one provincial residency when applying across Canada i.e. cannot use NS for Eastern Canada, and then Ontario for the 5 Ontario schools.

Don't feel like you missed something - you did things correctly :)

~JZ

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

I chose NS.

Whilst Mac does have a geographic component to their admissions procedure, it is different from other schools in that, if you have lived in Ontario for 3 consecutive years at some point in your life (or something like that), you are considered from Ontario even if you select a different provincial residency on your OMSAS application (or other Canadian school applications). That was a mouth full! In other words, since Ontario schools generally do not look at geographical status (safe Ottawa and Mac), and Mac would be considering me Ontario resident anyway, I chose NS residency to end up with a better chance of getting into Dal. We'll see how my planning all goes, but that was my rationale.

This whole process is so complicated:rolleyes

~JZ

Guest sally2001

How does one go about changing residency? Did you move to another province and live there for a few years or go to school there? How many years does it take to be considered a resident of that province?

thanks!

Guest Dannyboy

I don't know about NS but I definitely have status in both ON and BC. I think it might be a provinical thing. I lived 8 of my **adult** years in T.O. and 20 + years in BC. I didn't apply to BC but I could have and still can next year.

As far as the government is concerned and depending on the level/department in question, I am legally a BC resident but I can rightfully claim ON if I so chose. For example, it is more advantageous for me to be a BC resident for medical insurance reasons therefore I've retained BC as my permanent residence. However, if I want to go on OHIP I can do that with a phone call (but I then have to give up my BC medical insurance privileges). I have that particular flexibility because I am student at an Ontario institution (the jail/nuthouse entitled U of T), I am former permanent resident on ON(thus, I have an OHIP number) but a current one in BC. It is much less confusing than I've explained it to be. Sorry about that.

Guest taos77

I made the error of choosing ON. I didn't want to wreck my chances at Mac so I chose to be an OOP for Dal--fatal error I guess. Didn't get into either! I didn't realise Mac would have considered me ON regardless of what OMSAS had written down. CRAP!!!!:(

I think it depends on the school for residency status. For example, to be a resident of Alberta you only have to live here for 12 months. You would then automatically have residency in your home province and in Alberta, which would be reflected by your transcripts. I also looked into it last year, and U of A, U of C and the Ontario schools didn't have a problem if you wanted to be considered a resident of both provinces.

Archived