Premed 101 Forums

Interview Stream?

Guest Krish

Guest jmh2005

There was (and I don't know if they did this this year or not...) a provision that the top 25 or 30 sketches were automatically given an interview regardless of their marks...so I'm assuming that there are a few people who have a perfect sketch but have a 3.00 (the lowest academic standing allowed)...therefore they are interviewed based solely on their personal qualities...I have only heard that this was where the 'personal qualities' stream came from, but that has not come from an official source...There is a new chair of admissions this year and I understand that some things were done a bit differently (but that's all I know...) so I not even sure if this is still common practice...sorry I can't be of more help!!

Guest JAMIRA

Hi Krish,

Some applicants receive interviews at Mac based solely on their personal qualities. While most people are granted interviews based on some combination of their autobiographical submission and their GPA, there are a select few who have a truly outstanding autobiographical submission (ie. 100%-ile) and they are granted an interview regardless of their GPA (as long as it meets the cut-off of 3.0, of course). Hope that answers your question. :)

~ Jamira

Guest MA2003

Hi,

I also heard that the reverse was true, that the top 1% or so of GPAs received an interview, regardless of score on the questions. Can anyone substantiate this rumour?

Thanks!

Guest jmh2005

I have heard this rumor as well...but it never seems to be discussed as much as the latter scenario, so I really don't know how much truth there is to that one...

Guest JAMIRA

I think Mac used to do this up until about 2 or 3 years ago. I remember looking at old stats and under interview stream there was a small percentage interviewed based on personal qualities, a small percentage based on academic qualities, and the majority based on a combination of both. Unfortunately (for those with 4.0's), they don't seem to be doing it anymore.

~Jamira

Archived