Premed 101 Forums

The ideal applicant

Guest Gem2005

Guest Gem2005

Hello,

I will be applying in fall 2003, and I am trying to get information on the "extra" requirements that could help me get an interview after meeting the GPA and Mcat cutoffs. I know that Mcmaster notices applicants with special experiences. On their web page it is stated, that a special applicant is one who has a particular experience, which does not include volunteer work or the typical work experience. Instead the special applicant has found a way to do something to contribute to the community, that has also allowed them to grow as a person.

I have volunteer experience (in a hospital), and work

experience (in a bank). Could someone share a special experience that fits the profile required by the admission office. Also, if some of you already got in because of a special experience or can give a description of what is required or any advice, it will be strongly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Guest VwDubber

There is really no such thing as the "ideal applicant". People who are accepted come from different backgrounds in all regards. Also, the MCAT is not required for Mac and Ottawa.

VDub-

Guest Dannyboy

What do mean VwDubber--I thought you, me, macdreams, macforme, grandmellon, PDSP, lynloyd...etc...were "ideal candidates". What??????

I just got off the phone with my son. I was attempting to convince him that we aren't going to do an Easter Egg Hunt this year. His dad feels he is too old to have one (what a bore). Anyho, my son told me that he wouldn't believe anything I told him about not having an Easter Hunt since he thinks I have the maturity of an eight year old and I therefore would never be able to resist an opportunity to over-indulge in candy. Yecks! Don't tell admin about that one.......

I was told at a med school forum that the "special applicant" status is for those who might lack the standard academic requirements and/or for someone who has contributed to society in a substantial manner---not just something important but, as well, something that shows considerable maturity, dedication, compassion AND creativity. I think creativity is one of the key criterions evaluated. Your contributions are important but from my understanding, it takes quite a bit to be placed in the "special applicant" pool. Never hurts to email admin though. They are the ones with za answers--maybe ask for examples from past applicants?

HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have, by the way, LOADS of candy for the big day!

Guest jmh2005

Gem 2005...

I think that you need to re-read what McMaster defines a special applicant...I've attached the information from the Mac admissions website..

SPECIAL APPLICANTS

Candidates who wish to apply as Special Applicants must first be

assessed for eligibility. Those who believe they are eligible for this

category, must contact, in writing, the MD Admissions Chair, HSC

Room 1M7, before making a formal application. All relevant

information and documentation, including transcripts, must be

provided by September 15, 2003 to be considered for eligibility for

that year's selection and admission cycle.

This category is designed to provide opportunities only to those

who meet all of the following:

not have attended any post-secondary institution, including

those offering diploma or certificate programmes, as a

full-time student;

have completed, at the time of application, the equivalent

of at least four but not more than 10 full degree credit

courses as a part-time student, obtaining an overall

average of at least 3.0 on the 4.0 OMSAS grading scale. A

current university transcript must accompany the request

for consideration;

have been employed or active in the community for at least

seven years since leaving high school;

must be a resident of Ontario.

be assessed as having made an exceptional contribution to

society. In this, candidates must show creativity, intitiative

and leadership.

A letter from the candidate, outlining any specific activities and

the contribution to society must accompany the request for

assessment.

First Nation applicants who do not meet the criteria for

application through the regular stream must meet all but the first

requirement.

Clearly, if you have gone to university and have written the MCAT (which Mac does NOT require) you will not fit into this category. I believe that there have been 1 or 2 successful applicants who have gone through this stream in the past 10 years...I actually had heard that they were dropping this altogether as no one ever seems to fit the somewhat rigid requirements...

McMaster, like all medical schools wants you to be well-rounded... excellent grades, volunteer, extra curricular involvement, research experience, travel, varied work experiences (P/T, summer or F/T)...all of these things will likely make you a more suitable candidate...but I say LIKELY...Yes, there are many 'superstar' people in my class who have done a tonne of things, but the majority are those who are just out of 3rd or 4th year, and have done your typical things, hospital volunteering, summer jobs...there is no 'ideal applicant'...look at the stats from the class of 2004 and 2005 (also on the Mac web site)...the stats should give you an idea of where people are coming from, age, etc...

For McMaster specifically, your grades are important, as is the autobiographical sketch...this is often the area where candidates need to stand out...you need to be able to show how your experiences have allowed you to learn and how this will help you in your studies and in your future career as a Physician. You need to write articulately, succinctly and show that you are committed to studying medicine and becoming a Physician.

I suggest that you carefully read the websites of all the schools that you will be applying to...all have different requirements and put emphasis on VERY different aspects of the application, ie. MCAT, grades, essays, extra-curriculars (out West)...

Good luck!

Guest VwDubber

Dannyboy .. got your attention didn't I ? :b

I have a problem with the pre-conceived myth of an "ideal applicant" because this "ideal picture" is often based on an artificial set of factors such as GPA, specific types of volunteer experiences (and so on). This is a potential set up for dissapointment ......

All of the people you mentioned and which I have met are definately qualified for medical school. We also differ greatly in our learning curves, experiences, academics, and lifestyles. We each have our own uniqueness to bring to the class. Some of us have worked for many years, others are still in school.

Admission into Meds in Ontario involves being a "well rounded qualified applicant" and above all, a "luck component". No amount of advanced preparation can account for the latter.

Happy Easter :)

VDub-

Guest macMDstudent

I would say its not what you've done but how you explain it in your autobiographical submission. If you have done amazing things but can't explain it, you may not even get an interview. If you've never done anything extracurricular in your whole life but can relate some personal experiences in a good way in the autobiographical submission, you've got a better shot than the person with more experience but is a bad writer. That is the "game."

I agree that luck has a lot to do with it. Just hope luck is on your side and do everything you can to get lucky. Someone once said "The more I practice, the luckier I get." As far as applying to Mac goes, the more time you spend on your autosub, the better chance you have (in my opinion).

To be lucky enough to get an interview, you need a good autosub. To do well on interview day, you have to be prepared and stay relaxed. Be ready for your chance, don't wait for your chance to get ready. Find out everything you can about the program. Think about how you would explain all the things you've done on your resume. From what I've seen on these boards, a lot of you did prepare very well.

Even then you still may be unlucky, that's why there are a lot of people in our class who had to apply more than once. You may have to try more than once. It is a numbers game in the end.

Guest Gem2005

Thanks for all the comments and advise!

The reason why I chose "the ideal applicant" as a topic is because that was one of the titles on Mac's website, and because I heard (maybe rumors) that Mac considers applicants with a lot of background and experiences. Furthermore, since I am not an Ontario resident and they only call around 10% of other province applicants for interviews, I want to know how to optimize my chances.

Thanks for all the input, it helped a lot!

Also, I was wondering if research really helps, and how important is publishing something, versus research experience when it comes to making a good impression.

Guest jmh2005

Jem2005,

Don't worry, research experience is NOT necessary...many people in my class have done some-sort of research, but most just in an 'assistant' capacity, doing stats, doing lit searches, collecting data, etc...Some people did a thesis in undergrad... There are a few people in my class who have Masters and PhDs so they clearly would have done independent research, but the majority would not have done any publishing...I refer you to the stats of the classes of 2004 and 2005.

Like I said before and as my colleage stated above...the auto sub portion of Mac's admission process is KEY...even with a 4.00 and a terrible sketch, I doubt you will get an interview. You need to write well and show the readers of your sketch that you have the ability to study medicine at Mac...your experiences are not counted to reach a total...again, it is what you have learned from your experiences (REGARDLESS of what they are) and how will it help you at Mac. If you've worked in a bank for 5 years, what has that taught you??...you realized that you enjoy working together with others, staff and the public, the importance of communication skills, listening skills, etc... What is your understanding of the program at Mac...there are several questions about PBL, self-directed learning, small-group learning...you need to demonstrate on paper that you can fit in at McMaster...

Look at the 15 questions on the auto-submission, start now...write down your ideas in point form, what do you want to get across to the reader?...the QUALITY of the answers to those 15 questions and your GPA will determine whether or not you get an interview, not how much you have done or even what you have done.

I hope this has helped...take care and good luck!

Archived