Premed 101 Forums

Dental General Practice Residency in Ontario/Quebec

Would anyone be able to direct me as to where I can find more information regarding 1 year General Dentistry Residencies in Ontario/Quebec? Or provide personal or anecodotal experience? Specifically, I'm trying to find out: 

-how competitive are these programs? are they highly sought after by a large portion of dental school classes in Canada?
-are applicants from Canadian/local dental schools looked at more favorably than Canadian graduates from American schools? (ex. would a dental student from UofT have an advantage when applying to hospital residencies in Toronto?) The program websites say eligibility to apply includes being a "graduate of an accredited dental school", but I'm wondering if anyone has heard specifically of any US graduates matching?
-specifics about the clinical skills gained in the programs. What are different focuses at each program? I've read through various program descriptions (Toronto, London, Montreal) and they all seem to have a ton of rotations through every department (some even stretched pretty thin), and I was just wondering how that actually translates to a resident's learning/experience?

Would appreciate any insight at all into this topic. Thanks! 

Archived