Premed 101 Forums

Commute from Toronto Anyone?

Guest WTBMED3

Guest WTBMED3

I am just wondering if it is possible to commute from Toronto and if any applicants are planning on doing this next year (if admitted:p ).

Guest grandmellon

Hey WTB... it is possible to commute from toronto... but you'll probably want to consider rush hour traffic. ;) I'm from toronto and wouldn't want to be commuting from there each day... I've commuted before... it's aweful! Your hair will turn grey and fall out! :rollin

Guest MDWannabe

I just can't stay away from this forum!

Commuting is definitely one of the things you want to avoid if you can. Some, like me, can't avoid it for whatever reason; and if you must do it, don't consider it a deal breaker.

I am one of the everyday commuters from mid Toronto. No question it's a challenge, adding at least 10 hours to your week if you commute 5 days per week. Just add it to the list of hurdles to surmount if you have to do it - it can certainly be done, and has been done by many. The only bonus is that going TO Hamilton in the morning and AWAY from it in the afternoon is the way to go, from a traffic point of view. Were I to do the commute in the opposite direction, it would take probably twice as long.

In terms of others who do it: I know of at least 3 others who commute from Toronto (each of them has been in my group of 6 at one time or another). There is at least one coming from the Niagara direction, and one from Kitchener/Waterloo. A bunch come in from Guelph every day.

Good luck, and happy driving!

Guest sporter1992

I wonder if the GO train is a viable alternative for some of you? But you have to transfer in burlington from train to bus at some point, unless something has changed in the past few years.

Guest macMDstudent

There is a student who commutes from downtown Toronto strictly using the Go bus or train service. Luckily for him, the Go station in Hamilton is practically beside St. Joe's hospital and right now he has most of your tutorials there and it is working well. Otherwise, there is a Go bus that drops him off a block or two from Mac campus. It can be done but he's often running out to catch a bus.

It seems that even people in the class who live in Hamilton are getting cars now. Often you have to run around from hospital to hospital (pre-SARS) and it can be a pain without a car. If you want to do any rural electives, often you have to travel to clinics a distance away from Mac. It helps to have wheels, but as has been mentioned before parking is the headache.

Since Mac people are so friendly, the car-less ones are always getting rides with their group members who have cars, so as long as you can get into Hamilton you can also pretty much count on a few of your group members having a car to get you around.

Archived